INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: audio vs audio/video server  (Read 593 times)

kmmcd

• Junior Woodchuck
audio vs audio/video server
« on: March 11, 2020, 01:23:06 pm »

ABSTRACT:

I was setting out to add a silent audio server (for streaming from NAS to our DAC) to our system, but I am now considering whether I want that server to be expandable for streaming video (for streaming audio/video from our NAS to our DAC/TV) in the future. The direction I take affects the physical size of the computer, but not the cost, and I would welcome advice.

DISCUSSION

At present, I stream audio and video from our NAS to our DAC and TV using an Oppo BD-105D. Recently, I added a Topping D90 DAC and bypassed the 105D DAC, relegating the 105D to a transport/streamer only. The Topping D90 sounds better than the 105D DAC.
     So, I began investigating a silent i5-based PC platform from which to run JRiver Media Center remotely to stream from NAS to the DAC via USB. The mini ITX system is enclosed in a Streacom F8 and has one PCIe slot, which I shall use for an "audiophile" Matrix Element H USB interface. (No jeers about the USB interface, please, it's what I want to do.)
     Then, the thought occurred to me: if I want to migrate video streaming functions from the 105D in the (far) future, this PC does not have another expansion slot in which to add a graphics adapter, and I don't know whether local onboard graphics can support streaming ripped DVD's and blu-rays from NAS. (Of course, I plan on using Media Center for the streaming function, but I've never used Media Center for video streaming before.) If I want to plan for this contingency, that will push me to a larger fanless mini-tower system to accommodate a future additional plugin card (graphics adapter) which will occupy a lot more space in our audio-video furniture, and will not be nearly as attractive.
     I am happy using the 105D for video (streaming video from NAS and playing discs) for now, but it will not last forever.
     My inclination is to stop analyzing contingencies and adopt the mini ITX audio server approach only and deal with the need for a video server if and when the 105D ever fails.
     Again, any opinions are welcome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up