INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV series "cover" art (not the thumbnails for episodes)  (Read 1076 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe
TV series "cover" art (not the thumbnails for episodes)
« on: March 12, 2020, 08:52:11 pm »

I know I've asked this before so I apologize for a repeated topic.  I can't find my original thread.

I have a couple of TV series which don't have "cover art" for the series as a whole.  In other words, when I look at the SHOWS view, there is a thumbnail from a random episode for the series.  The thumbnails for each episode are in the SERIES folder and correctly linked to each episode, so that's all OK.

If I remember correctly, there is supposed to be a .jpg file in a hidden folder somewhere MC uses for the TV series.  I've forgotten how to find the folder (I used Go -> Go to Folder for find Library, but I didn't see what I thought I was looking for), and how to link .jpg to the appropriate series.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: TV series "cover" art (not the thumbnails for episodes)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 09:06:50 pm »

You can find your posts from your profile.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 09:54:11 pm »

Terminology: Thumbnails are stored in a Thumbnails database, not in folders. Thumbnails are manged entirely by MC. You have no control over them. Cover Art is stored as files in folders. You are looking for Cover Art.

Only Series Cover Art should be stored in the Series folder, not Episode Cover Art. If you have Episode Cover Art in your Series folder, you have done something wrong. When I say Series folder, I mean the \Series\ folder under the directory you have defined for Cover Art in "Options > File Location > Cover Art > Folder".

Cover Art for all Video (i.e. TV Episodes) is stored next to the video file, and not in the folder defined in "Options > File Location > Cover Art > Folder", even if the setting "Options > File Location > Cover Art > Audio mode" is set to "In a specified folder", because, well that is for Audio only. So Episode Cover Art will be next to the Episode Video file.

MC puts Series Cover Art into the Series folder when you run "Get Movie & TV Info", or "Cover Art > Get from internet".

If you have a Series that does not have Series Cover Art, go to https://thetvdb.com/, search for the Series, and check if Series Cover Art is available. If it is, MC should find it. Select any file from the Series then run "Get from internet" and update the Cover Art.

Series Cover Art files will be named:        [Series].jpg.
Season Cover Art files will be named:      [Series] - Season [Season].jpg.
Episode Cover Art files will be named:      filename(,0).jpg                              i.e. [Filename (name)] without the file type suffix.

Cover Art files can also be *.png or other format files.

Use MC's automatic Cover Art collection and management features. Don't try moving Cover Art files around manually, unless you have hit a real issue, and know what you are doing. That is, stop using finder to resolve these problems.

Your previous post: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,119269.msg829875.html#msg829875

Read this Wiki article very carefully: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cover_Art

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

macdonjh

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 07:07:40 pm »

Thank you, RoderickGI.

I have not done anything manually, I've only ripped then updated important tags, Get Movie and TV data, then Move, Copy, Rename.  I must have been sloppy in my terminology. 

For some reason the Series Cover Art for two recent rips don't appear in MC.  I've had that problem before and it turned out to be a file location problem (user error when I updated to a newer version of MC).  In that previous case moving the cover art files where MC expected them cured the problem quickly.  I just want to see if the cover art files exist in the proper directory.

Another idea I had is there aren't any Series Cover Art in the on-line database for the two series I have (unlikely, but possible).  So I could scan my own cover art and add it, if I knew which folder MC would look in.

Thanks, JimH.  I didn't think about that.  I searched for my username in the forum "home page".  That didn't yield any results.

macdonjh

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 07:22:22 pm »

Thanks again, JimH.  I see my old posts now.

macdonjh

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 07:28:57 pm »

RoderickGI, thanks again.  I refreshed my memory about the location of cover art from that old thread you provided a link for.  There is no cover art for my two latest series in the Cover Art/Series folder where all my other series cover art is.  So I think either something went wrong when I executed Get Movie and TV Info, or there is no series cover art online.

I used Tools / Options / File Locations / Cover Art to remind myself where I told MC to store cover art.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 08:24:04 pm »

If you have a Series that does not have Series Cover Art, go to https://thetvdb.com/, search for the Series, and check if Series Cover Art is available. If it is, MC should find it. Select any file from the Series then run "Get from internet" and update the Cover Art.

What are the two Series that don't have Cover Art?

To find all your past posts, use the "Show Posts" link on your Profile page in the forum, which is accessed via the "Profile" link in the menu near the top of the forum.

Or use the forum Advanced Search function to search for key words or phrases in posts by a particular user. In this case, you.

See the highlighted links in the attached images.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up