INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5.1 Channel Playback does not work for 44.1khz files unless upscaled to 48kHz  (Read 699 times)

googly

• Recent member

MJ 26.0.30 both 64 and 32 bit - set to 5.1 output channels, JRSS mixing or not will not produce output for 44.1kHz files unless you enforce the up-frequency to 48kHz. This was not so in the past. 44.1 kHz files will play unaffected for "source number of channels". I sometimes like to listen to 2Ch sound in surround mode but I do not like the extra upscaling of the frequency as required here-an unnecessary step too far. This is true for two different Yamaha receivers.
This is for Intel Audio (Wasapi) only, it does work for Direct Mode (may have a forced frequency change I don't know), decoded file loaded into memory.
....Recently changed from a Haswell based desktop to a new NUC10i7. Methinks it may be the Intel Audio for the NUC that is doing something strange. Why it allows 2Ch 44.1kHz, 5Ch 48kHz and not 5 Ch 44.1kHz I don't know?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

If it's what the driver needs, it's what you must do.  There's no disadvantage of doing so.

googly

• Recent member

Oh, so converting from 44.1 to 48kHz can be done with no errors at all? Are you without any concept of what is involved? Does anyone have any measurements to illustrate that such conversions are error free? I would point to the two concepts of accuracy and precision. Isn't this a forum that tries to maintain audio purity and integrity? 

wer

Conversion from 44.1 to 48 is not perfect because 48 is not an integer multiple of 44.1.

But that's not the point.

Some sound cards or drivers just do not support 5 channel output at 44.1.  You need to find out what your sound card supports. I'm not familiar enough with the specifics of that NUC to tell you. If it doesn't support it, then your preference is irrelevant.

All users must either work within their audio device's capabilities, or get a new audio device or driver installed in the computer.

tij

• MC Beta Team

Even Sound Blaster AE9 does not support 5.1 at 44.1 ... probably because there are no native sources that have this configuration (at least I never heard of it)

Why it support 5.1 at 48 ... cause it’s very common format for movies

So what @wer mention is true ... so stick with stereo 44.1 if you are purist ... or accept limitation of 5.1 setup which is usually geared towards movies

can upsample to 24/96 or even 24/192 (quite common formats ... if your setup supports it)  if it makes you feel better (any dsp is theoretically better done at higher bit depth and sampling to reduce quantization error) ... though doubt you will here the difference
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Oh, so converting from 44.1 to 48kHz can be done with no errors at all? Are you without any concept of what is involved? Does anyone have any measurements to illustrate that such conversions are error free? I would point to the two concepts of accuracy and precision. Isn't this a forum that tries to maintain audio purity and integrity? 

it does work for Direct Mode (may have a forced frequency change I don't know)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry, couldn't help myself, when you show such a bad attitude as above. The contradiction in standards, expectations, and the lack of knowledge are astounding.

Window Direct Sound always messes with the audio it processes. Yes, it upmixes 44.1 to 48 kHz in your situation. It just doesn't tell you, and you couldn't hear the difference.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up