INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 11 Year old I7-920 has been running 24/7 - and uses JRiver for ~8 hrs a day  (Read 1532 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

I just checked my receipt and I ordered the parts for my work PC on January 30, 2009. That means my PC has been going since February of 2009. Since, I'm the network administrator and need to remotely login sometimes, I've always left the PC running 24/7. It is an Intel I7-920 with 12 Gb of memory and originally overclocked to 4 Ghz. A few years ago I started to get some instability with high CPU temps during gaming (only during lunch  :)) and dropped it down to 3.6 Ghz.

JRiver has been the most stable software I've had on my PC. I have had versions 15-26 on it. I still have my library backups since MC17. I use JRiver for listening to music all day and to watch occasional movies during my lunch hour.

One thing that has been changed out over the years is the graphics card. The past two years I've used an Nvidia GTX 1080. Keeping the graphics card modern has allowed this PC to keep up with current games and to play UHD video just fine.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

I have JRiver running on an i7-2600k that's been in continuous 24/7 operation since mid-2012; not quite 11 years, but your post made me think about how long it had been.  From JRiver 17-26.  I'm planning to retire that machine sometime this year (it's been having some mystery problems), so it may not make it to 11, but it's been the centerpiece of my living room entertainment system for a long, long time.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

My workstation is at 10 years. It has been having mystery wake-from-sleep issues, but a reboot fixes that.

Probably its last year. While it can't run the latest games, I no longer play much. The i7-960 is plenty powerful enough for day to day work, including video editing.

Why upgrade every year, like some do, if not required?

PS: My HTPC is coming up to 7 years, since MC18 I think, running 24/7. No issues.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Manfred

My Media Server is only around 3 years old and run's 7x24.

I had 3 shutdown's:
- Cleaning the dust filters
- Add an additional 10 TB disk
- Pressed shutdown instead of reboot

MC runs very stable  :). No issues during the 3 years of operation. 8)
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

Trumpetguy

Similar situation here - media server and home theater pc connected to 7.1+projector. i7-2600 been running 24/7 since February 2012. Several replacements, though - graphics card died and was replaced on warranty. And audio system interface has changed during this time. But other than that - MC has been dead stable. I started somewhere around MC13, I think, and now on MC26.

Use has changed - from me in my man-cave ripping all CD's and establishing a digital home media network to kids growing up and now really appreciating teen-time alone with friends watching movies. Well, not with friends right now with the Corona situation, obviously...

BryanC

• MC Beta Team

I've got an Ivy Bridge system powering my HTPC but I'm almost ready to jump ship to one of those ARM 4K TV sticks for the power savings. It would be nice to have some local storage to alleviate network buffering but I'm also considering just throwing all of my media storage in my workstation and upgrading its core count to handle the additional duties. The 3900X will be very tempting at <$400.

Another benefit is that I would finally be completely free of Windows at that point. Much less manual administration, reboots, and dealing with samba and ntfs. I'm just waiting on some finer-grained control on video rendering in MC for Linux that can match madVR and its new HDR tonemapping features (since my TV looks like crap in HDR).
Pages: [1]   Go Up