INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tag ignored on file import  (Read 1371 times)

eruse

• Recent member
Tag ignored on file import
« on: March 20, 2020, 07:49:30 am »

Hi-
I updated to MC26 for Mac and it appears that at least one tag is ignored when importing new files.  I use dbpoweramp to rip CDs and add the tag "Artist Sort" to my music files.  After running auto import in MC26 I noticed that new artists were placed at the end of the display in Standard View instead of being sorted according to the Artist Sort tag.  I right clicked on the CDs for the new artists and saw that the Artist Sort tag was there but was empty.  This used to work fine in MC25.  Interestingly, when importing new CDs for existing artists, the CDs are sorted properly and are grouped with the other CDs for the artists but the Artist Sort tag information is empty.  Help please.

Thanks.

eruse

• Recent member
Tag still ignored on file import
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 06:02:01 pm »

Hi-
I posted the following in March but received no replies so am posting it again.

I updated to MC26 for Mac and it appears that at least one tag is ignored when importing new files.  I use dbpoweramp to rip CDs and add the tag "Artist Sort" to my music files.  After running auto import in MC26 I noticed that new artists were placed at the end of the display in Standard View instead of being sorted according to the Artist Sort tag.  I right clicked on the CDs for the new artists and saw that the Artist Sort tag was there but was empty.  The "Artist Sort" tag was recognized and worked fine when importing files into MC25.  Interestingly, when importing new CDs for existing artists, the CDs are sorted properly and are grouped with the other CDs for the artists but the Artist Sort tag information is empty.  Help please.

Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tag ignored on file import
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 08:15:55 pm »

The field name in MC must exactly match the tag name in the file, including Case, Spaces, Underlines, and everything else. Then MC should import the value.

So is your tag called "ARTISTSORT", or "ARTIST SORT", "ARTIST_SORT, "ArtistSort", "Artist Sort", "Artist_Sort", "artistsort", "artist sort", artist_sort", etc.. You get the idea. Check inside the files, not via dbPoweramp or any tool that interprets or formats tag names.

If this worked in MC25 but doesn't in MC26, check that the tag created by dbPoweramp hasn't been changed in some way. Use a HEX editor to look inside a file that has the correct tag, and one that MC hasn't picked up the tag.

Also note that tags are handled differently for different file types. That is, FLAC files are handled differently to MP3 files, as are ALAC files, WAV files, etc. Are you ripping to the same file type that used to work before?

Also, make sure you are running the very latest version of MC26. There were some fixes around tags a while back, although I don't think they would have impacted an "Artist Sort" field.

If it still doesn't work for you, come back with some more information, such as the field name used in MC, the tag name used in dbPoweramp, and what is in the files, exactly. Plus describe your workflow for ripping, tagging, and importing into MC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

eruse

• Recent member
Re: Tag ignored on file import
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 03:04:59 pm »

Thanks for the reply-

The problem was with the version of MC26.  When I updated MC to the current release, the "Artist Sort" tag was recognized and used to sort the library.  I did check the field with a hex editor and it is "Artist Sort".  All of the ripped files are flac.

In case other users add tags to their files that do not exist in MC, it appears that a field corresponding to that tag will need to be created in MC using "Tools-Options-Manage Library Fields" in order for MC to recognize and retain the tags on imported files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up