INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Having tracks from compilations displayed under individual artists  (Read 1006 times)

kschiefer

• Recent member

Good evening,

new MC user here, who has stumbled onto a problem with library management. I have a lot of samplers/compilations from music magazines in my library, often with rare/unreleased tracks by artists that I own regular albums from. I want these tracks to be displayed under the individual artists' name and their albums (like iTunes does it, or at least get a pointer to a compilation like in Audirvana), but I can't get this to work. I have set the Album Artist (auto) to (Multiple Artists), but these tracks still only get listed under (Multiple Artists) in the Artists View. It's probably a tagging problem, but I can't seem to figure it out. What am I doing wrong?

Best,

Kai

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Having tracks from compilations displayed under individual artists
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 07:09:44 pm »

Did you read this carefully? https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_(Auto)

I have set the Album Artist (auto) to (Multiple Artists)

Don't do that.

1. Make sure the files for all Tracks in the sampler/compilation are in the same directory together, and that only Tracks for the sampler/compilation are in that directory. No other Tracks should be in that directory.
2. Set [Artist] to the Artist(s) involved in each Track. If more than one, list them with a semi-colon separator.
3. Set [Album Artist] to one Artist if you want, or if the Albums have one overall Artist. Otherwise, leave it blank. Usually, this means you should only set this to a specific Artist if the Album is in fact that Artist's work, but a few other Artists are featured on the Album.
4. Set the [Album] field to the same value for all Tracks in the
5. Let the [Album Artist (auto)] field look after itself. It will be set to (Multiple Artists) automatically as required, as per the Wiki article.

Now all Tracks that include an Artist in the [Artist] field will be displayed for that Artist in the Audio > Artists View in MC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

kschiefer

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 08:32:26 am »

Hi Roderick,

thanks for the advice. Yes, I have read the wiki article and followed the steps outlined there, as well as the steps you described in your post. Unfortunately, neither of these seem to work. I tried it with another album which I ripped just now (Lost Highway OST), but the songs from that album don't show up under the artists from Audio > Artists view.

HaWi

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 08:47:57 am »

Sorry to barge in here. You might have to fill the [Artist] (and possibly others) field manually. When I rip CDs, they rarely have tags filled correctly unless I set the tags before ripping or afterwards in MC.
cheers,
Hans
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

kschiefer

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 08:52:48 am »

No worries, Hans, any advice is welcome!  :)

I checked the tags in YATE, they're all correct. In MC the Album Artist field for each track is empty and Album Artist (auto) has automatically set itself to (Multiple Artists).

HaWi

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 01:15:07 pm »

And the [Artist] field is filled correctly in MC for each track?
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
JRemote 3.43

kschiefer

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 03:03:55 pm »

Re-checked again just now, yes it is. I even went so far and re-entered all the artist names by hand to make sure there weren't any hidden typos or blanks. All the albums appear under (Multiple Artists) in the Music > Artists view, but not under the artist names.

HaWi

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 03:40:39 pm »

Well, that's the end of my help, I'm afraid. Hopefully, the real experts will be able to figure this out. One more thing, have you tried to play with Pane Views? I have set up a few for myself, separating classical from non-classical, and such. I am not using anything else to manage my library now, once I got a bit of a feeling for how it works. It's really cool.
JRemote 3.43

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 03:57:02 pm »

Both Artist and Album Artist are correctly tagged?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 05:30:34 pm »

Ah, I forget sometimes that I have modified my Views.

The default Artist View uses the [Album Artist (auto)] field. As all these Albums have an [Album Artist (auto)] field of (Multiple Artists), that is where the Tracks turn up.

Also, I was checking what I said using the Search Box in the top right corner of Standard View, and searching by Artist name, so MC correctly displayed all Tracks by the Artist I wanted to see, even though I was using the default Artists View.

Two Three Four choices:

1. Use the Search Box as I did in the Artists View.
2. Copy the defaults Artists View and change the category field it uses from [Album Artist (auto)] to just [Artist].
3. Build a new View that does exactly what you want, possibly a Panes View as HaWi suggests, which can give more visibility to Artist selections.
4. Click the "Disclosure Triangle" next to the Artist View name, expanding the tree in the left Navigation Bar, and scroll down to any Artist you want to explore.

I just use 1. most of the time, because it is easier and the display keeps all the Tracks found under the Albums as I want. But I sometimes use 4. as well.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 05:36:31 pm »

Good that Roderick arrived at the correct answer just before I started to type mine.  :) :)

I would suggest that you probably want a Panes view.  There's a stock panes view included that you can play with and modify to experiment.  I think you'll really like it.  You seem like someone that wants to explore their collection.   Panes views give yo a lot of flexibility to do that.

Good luck.

Brian.

HaWi

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 06:54:57 pm »

Couldn't agree more. I'm a rookie user as well and once I started using Panes Views it all came together for me. Initially, I panicked a bit when I did something wrong and couldn't see what I expected to see. So it's good to remember that it's only a view and the database is not changed unless you tell it to.
JRemote 3.43

kschiefer

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 10:48:30 am »

Thanks, Roderick, that did the trick.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up