INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update Process  (Read 629 times)

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
Update Process
« on: March 24, 2020, 07:54:45 pm »

Went to 'latest' channel for updates and now when i launch MC it does show the update but hobbles through a number of issues getting the new version installed still requiring the clicks and drags and a few error dialogs along the way...

First I see (attached Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.39.39 PM) with license dialog and additional error dialog saying it failed the update.  Click 'retry' on the error and agree to the same license i've already agreed to every update and when I originally purchased the license (is this necessary on every update as no other sw i have that auto-updates put me through this every update).

Second I see (attached Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.40.16 PM) with the drag to app folder interface and a second error dialog which I have no idea what or why it's there but click 'ok' anyway and dutifully drag the app into the folder as usual.  No shortcut here so far to going online and doing this all manually except a few extra error dialogs to click through.

Third I get the 'app in this folder exists replace confirmation', yeah sure of course right?

Fourth it doesn't then automatically relaunch into the new version so I have to open applications back up and launch it by icon.

And finally Finder still shows some disk images still mounted I better close to cleanup (attached Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.40.53 PM).

Isn't there a more seamless way to handle all this?   Like maybe just patch and run on startup and pop up a dialog within the new MC with the change list and a link to what changed online.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Update Process
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 10:10:36 am »

When the installer launches for the new version it's supposed to shutdown the running one.
Since it can't seem to do that on your system for some reason it explains the rest of the issues you are seeing, it simply cannot install over a running MC.

Are you running the Media Server?? (Options->Startup->Run on startup-> ??)

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 04:28:39 pm »

yes, I run the media server and actually every time I go to restart my computer macOs say MediaCenter interrupted shutdown and I always have to click to close it and retry.  that's super annoying too.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 05:41:21 pm »

yes, I run the media server and actually every time I go to restart my computer macOs say MediaCenter interrupted shutdown and I always have to click to close it and retry.  that's super annoying too.
Did you quit media server before you tried to copy the new MC into place?

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 02:40:43 pm »

yes, always do... it's a 10 step process at least... can't you just add a patcher to MC and patch to the latest during launch?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 09:22:30 am »

yes, always do... it's a 10 step process at least... can't you just add a patcher to MC and patch to the latest during launch?
For MC that's a windows thing, the Mac and Linux builds don't have a similar implementation.
MC should however terminate Media Server if it's running during the update process, that should be possible to add.

Pages: [1]   Go Up