INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New User question (large media files in itunes library currently)  (Read 350 times)

JBS

• Recent member

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I figure it is a dumb question but that never stopped me before.

Been using ITunes forever and my library is nearly 2T of lossless music (few movies), so clearly ALAC for the vast majority. I have extra time with the pandemic and thought I'd try out JRiver or Roon for future functionality. After some research I figured I would start with JRiver as I am not looking for lots of interactive media info. Much of my music is live Grateful Dead and other classic rock.

My concern or question is when I "import" (or point?) my existing media is JRiver going to (by default) to put a copy of all those files in a specific place that JRiver likes? Then I would have duplicates of all the large files and I do not have space for that and would rather not fall into that situation when I get a hard drive full error.

FWIW, I boot from a SSD and keep my media on large mechanical drives so some indexing type stuff may be better suited on the SSD but no clue how that works here. Any advice is appreciated as I do not want to just dive in and then completely hose up my current setup.  If there is a tutorial somewhere just point me there as I am a pretty fast learner. TIA for any tips or advice.

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: New User question (large media files in itunes library currently)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 03:31:10 pm »

You have no worries. Install MC on your SSD like any program and the database AKA Library will be kept on that drive too. MC will not make its own copies. It will just look for files and add them to the Library.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 03:31:47 pm »

JRiver won't move or copy your files.  It can use the drives you describe.

There's an iTunes thread on the forum here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,120942.0.html

JBS

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 03:38:22 pm »

Thx! I am obviously still living with the scars of how iTunes works as w.o. being careful it would do exactly as I feared.

So into the 21st century I go!
Pages: [1]   Go Up