INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Ratings showing from the wrong rating system  (Read 829 times)

greynolds

• Citizen of the Universe
TV Ratings showing from the wrong rating system
« on: April 03, 2020, 03:42:26 pm »

@Yaobing:

After reading the tooltip font thread in the main forum, I've been working on displaying images in my Theater View views for things like the MPAA Ratings field, resolution, etc. and I noticed that JRiver seems to be grabbing ratings from the "wrong" rating system in many cases.  An example:

Code: [Select]
<programme start="20200403220000 -0400" stop="20200403230000 -0400" channel="I4.1.20431.schedulesdirect.org">
<title lang="en">Blue Bloods</title>
<sub-title lang="en">The Puzzle Palace</sub-title>

<rating system="Australian Classification Board">
<value>M 15+</value>
</rating>
<rating system="Canadian Parental Rating">
<value>14+</value>
</rating>
<rating system="Departamento de Justiça, Classificação, Títulos e Qualificação">
<value>14</value>
</rating>
<rating system="Film &amp; Publication Board">
<value>13</value>
</rating>
<rating system="Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle der Filmwirtschaft">
<value>16</value>
</rating>
<rating system="Mediakasvatus- ja kuvaohjelmayksikkö">
<value>K16</value>
</rating>
<rating system="Régie du cinéma">
<value>13+</value>
</rating>
<rating system="USA Parental Rating">
<value>TV14</value>
</rating>
</programme>

In this example, the MPAA Rating column gets "M 15+" from the Australian system, rather than the expected "TV14".  I'm just guessing, but it looks like when parsing the XML data, the first rating is used, regardless of the rating system.  If you guys would consider making the default choice configurable or something, that would be appreciated.  Always defaulting to the "USA Parental Rating" would be great for those of us who live in the USA, but I get that it wouldn't be desirable for all users.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: TV Ratings showing from the wrong rating system
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 04:15:41 pm »

Good point.

I did not know all these rating systems at the time I coded EPG loading.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

greynolds

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 04:28:24 pm »

Good point.

I did not know all these rating systems at the time I coded EPG loading.
My example is from the Schedules Direct data, so it's likely other sources will have different options, which makes it even more fun. :)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 04:35:30 pm »

Interesting. If I remember correctly I used to always get the American "TV14" ratings in MC, probably from TheTVDB metadata collection.

Now I do seem to be getting the "Australian Classification Board" rating. I'm happy with that.  ;D
EDIT: Actually now I'm just getting a single Australian Rating value so it must be coming from the OTA EIT EPG collection. Unless TheTVDB has changed the data they provide based on location or something.

<rating>
      <value>G</value>

I don't recall any Release Note change to ratings. Maybe when some of the other EPG changes were made?

My example is from the Schedules Direct data, so it's likely other sources will have different options, which makes it even more fun. :)

Indeed. Although the Country setting in Television options will help, there may need to be a hardcoded list of rating authorities, or a collection process for such names from the EPG data. But look at some of those authority names! Challenging.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 10:59:37 am »

I am going to try making a setting for user to choose a system.

Code: [Select]
Automatic
Australian Classification Board (Australia)
Canadian Parental Rating (Canada)
Departamento de Justiça, Classificação, Títulos e Qualificação (Brazil)
Film &amp; Publication Board (South Africa)
Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle der Filmwirtschaft (Germany)
Mediakasvatus- ja kuvaohjelmayksikkö (Finland)
Régie du cinéma (Quebec)
USA Parental Rating (USA)

Automatic means MC chooses according to country setting.  So if you live in Quebec, Canada, you will get Canadian Parental Rating unless you choose specifically "Régie du cinéma (Quebec)".  The list is based only on greynolds' post and is missing a lot of entries (France, Italy, UK, South Korea, Japan, etc., if they have any rating system).  Anyone who has additional info is welcome to post here so I can expand the list.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 11:33:39 am »

British Board of Film Classification (United Kingdom)
Conseil supérieur de l'audiovisuel (France)
Pages: [1]   Go Up