INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Failure to Play (At Times) with SoundBlasterX AE-5 ASIO and WASAPI  (Read 2153 times)

phil1331

• Recent member

Hello all, any help on this topic greatly appreciated.

Bottom line:
When I try to play my music (collection of FLAC and MP3 files, at various bitrates), Media Center occasionally says Playback Problem: Play back could not be started on the output 'XYC' using format 'ABC'.  The mixing format of your hardware does not support the current output format."  And then sometimes a recommendation to use a different driver or mixing format.

I'm using MC26, Win10 64-bit, and a SoundBlasterX AE-5.  But to be honest, I saw it even before MC26 (and before MC24 before that), and before I got the SoundBlaster AE-5. 

I know the "XYC" and "ABC" above are important.  But that's where it get weird, and why this problem is so frustrating -- it appears to happen randomly, no matter which drivers I use (ASIO, WASAPI, DirectSound).  Two days ago, I was using WASAPI and it worked, then I read that ASIO was potentially better (but required hardware that supported it) so I tried that.  AE-5 ASIO has the "AE series ASIO" and "ASIO AE DSD" -- tried both -- both worked.  Used those for a day.  Changed nothing, but the next day, I got the Playback Error above, no matter what source music I selected.  Swtiched back to WASAPI.... then WASAPI didn't work.  Same error.  Gave up and did other things.  Tried again today (changed nothing, just started MediaCenter) and ASIO works again, but WASAPI still doesn't... 

I've seen this pattern for years.  Every couple days or weeks, I need to shuffle through all the options under "Audio Device" in Options to get something that works.  Saw it with earlier versions of MC, different sound cards, and entirely different computers (but all Win10).

In theory, the same music file, using the same hardware, and using the same settings, should work consistently, I would think.

Can anyone explain why this happens (and with such a wide range of hardware)?  And why a particular selection starts and stops working, even when nothing at all changes?

Thanks for any advice.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Failure to Play (At Times) with SoundBlasterX AE-5 ASIO and WASAPI
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 11:53:08 am »

You can use MC's DSP Studio > Output Format to force everything to some bitrate / samplerate that the device plays well.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Output_Format

phil1331

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 06:28:18 pm »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately, the source and output format settings don't help.  The same source material, with the same Output Format settings, with the same hardware, with the same option selected under 'Audio Device', works one day and then, another day, gives the error in my original post.  That's the confusing part. 

I'm successfully (right now) using "Creative SB/SBX AE Series (ASIO)" to play a 44.1 kHz /16 bit FLAC file (Coldplay song).  Output is set at 44.1 kHz / 32 bit.  It's working.  Switching to WASAPI fails, but the same file, with same settings, worked yesterday for WASAPI but not ASIO.

Is there a universal setting for DSP studio that should work, for all source material, using the ASIO audio device? 

I'm definitely ignorant of the details of this.  I just don't understand why I'd get the "Playback Error", playing the same song, without adjusting the settings, when I just close and reopen MC the following day.

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 06:34:14 pm »

Check for updated drivers.  Seems like a device being overly picky.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 09:53:14 pm »

I'm using MC26, Win10 64-bit, and a SoundBlasterX AE-5.  But to be honest, I saw it even before MC26 (and before MC24 before that), and before I got the SoundBlaster AE-5. 

I've seen this pattern for years.  Every couple days or weeks, I need to shuffle through all the options under "Audio Device" in Options to get something that works.  Saw it with earlier versions of MC, different sound cards, and entirely different computers (but all Win10).

In theory, the same music file, using the same hardware, and using the same settings, should work consistently, I would think.

Can anyone explain why this happens (and with such a wide range of hardware)?  And why a particular selection starts and stops working, even when nothing at all changes?

If these statements are correct, I would say that there is a 110% chance that you have some other software on the PC that is locking whatever output device you are using in Exclusive Mode, and therefore preventing MC from accessing it.

Next time this start happening, simply reboot the PC and see if the problem goes away.

If not, start investigating which other applications might be locking the output device.

Another approach would be to set the Windows Default Audio Device to something other than the SoundBlasterX AE-5, and MC to use the SoundBlasterX AE-5 in Exclusive Mode, whether ASIO or WASAPI.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

phil1331

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 01:31:33 pm »

Thanks Matt and Roderick for your suggestions.  Sorry for the deal in my response.

I saw the same behavior once or twice in last few weeks, but generally the WASAPI was working -- once or twice I had to switch it around a bit.

Drivers seem to be up to date. 

I'll investigate, based upon Roderick's suggestion.  If some other software is locking the output device, would I receive the "this device isn't compatible" error message, rather than a "something else is using the device" error?

wer

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 02:05:31 pm »

If some other software is locking the output device, would I receive the "this device isn't compatible" error message, rather than a "something else is using the device" error?

The other possibility is that other software might have locked the device at a certain sample rate or number of channels.  You could identify this case, when you start getting this error, by trying playback at different sampling rates; if one of them works, it's the sampling rate that's locked, not the device.

But regardless, there's some other piece of software provoking it, as Rod said.
Pages: [1]   Go Up