INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Albums - Already imported albums added as recent  (Read 957 times)

barrettisgold

• Recent member
Recent Albums - Already imported albums added as recent
« on: April 05, 2020, 03:23:51 pm »

Hi all - I have a problem with my 'recent albums'. It's added in all albums by artists from O - M as well as about 20 or random albums as recent albums. Once I scroll to the last of these it is then in the correct order of recent albums added. I've searched the forums and can see that this an issue others have had. However, I couldn't really find a solution how to fix it.

If anyone has any suggestions or can point me in the direction of a thread that seems to solve it I would be most grateful. I've not changed any settings, reimported anything since this has happened. Just used JRiver for everyday playing.

Recent album is my most used view as I go there to listen to new purchases. I would like to be able to restore it so my recent imports are correct.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Recent Albums - Already imported albums added as recent
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 06:46:50 pm »

If you haven't run any imports, and you don't have auto import enabled, then the Date Imported field would not have changed.

Perhaps you have altered the sort order on that view.  Without screenshots we can't tell.

If you are actually having issues with the import date getting revised, then a solution is here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=117429.0

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 09:45:58 am »

If you made a change (ie added tracks, replaced tracks, resorted tracks, etc.) it will relist the album as recent.

Did you make any changes to those now showing more recent?

barrettisgold

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 05:04:26 am »

Thanks for your help wer and Dawgincontol. I really appreciate you taking the time.

I haven't made any changes to anything.  All my purchased music is on the NAS. I use a Mac, looking on finder none of the albums that are showing in recent albums that shouldn't have been recently modified, all present and correct there.

I have not changed the sort order at all. The sort order is still set to date imported, is that right? Since this has happened I've bought a couple more albums, added them to the NAS and they have auto-imported as normal and show at the top of recent albums, followed by the old imports from O - M then the recent albums as the should be.

If you are actually having issues with the import date getting revised, then a solution is here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=117429.0

wer - This was actually the best thread I found and I followed your instructions, so thank you. It seems a good alternative option and is working well. However, my layout has a pane window at the bottom every-time I click to this layout. Do you know how I stop the pane window opening and juts have the album cover view only?

I would like to get to the bottom of why this has happening to avoid it happening again or if it is a bug so other people don't have this issue. Thanks agin for your help!

wer

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 01:06:55 pm »

wer - This was actually the best thread I found and I followed your instructions, so thank you. It seems a good alternative option and is working well. However, my layout has a pane window at the bottom every-time I click to this layout. Do you know how I stop the pane window opening and juts have the album cover view only?

Well, when you say "my layout has a pane window at the bottom" I'm not sure you're using the correct terminology.  "Pane" has a special meaning in JRiver, distinct from the standard Common User Access/Window meaning, and they don't appear at the bottom. If you actually have a "Pane View" instead of a "Category View" (which shows thumbnails), you can change that by right clicking on the view, selecting Customize View, and setting "View As" to Categories instead of Panes.  If you actually have a File List open instead of a Pane, when you customize the view you should uncheck "Always show files".

I suggest you look at the following links to become more familiar with how to customize your views:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/View_Schemes
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68960.0
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Standard_View
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111775.0.html

In future when you have problems along the lines of "this doesn't look the way I want" you should provide a screenshot. Learning the correct terminology is helpful.  If you tell your doctor "My arm hurts" when the correct term was "head" you won't get good treatment.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 08:34:25 am »

There is really only one reason that MC will change the import date on already imported files:  This happens when the original file "disappears" and the "reappears" with a new name.  You are using a NAS which is a HUGE clue to this!

Many NAS devices will not be ready all the time.  Many of them go to sleep to save power.  As a result, many times they will not be ready to serve files when you first ask for them.  This can make it seem like files are "gone" to MC for a short time, while the NAS is still waking up.

Unfortunately, MC ships with two options set that cause "reimporting" on files.

1.  Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > tasks > fix broken links
This is set to "yes" from the factory, which causes unavailable files to be deleted by MC.  I set mine to "NO" as this is the safest and will NEVER remove my files unless I tell MC to do so.  The other selection "Yes protect files on missing drives" might also work for your situation.  I do not use it.  Try setting this to NO and this particular behavior can't happen again.
2.  Tools > Options > Library & Folders > run auto import in background
If this option is checked, any time MC sees new files in the auto import directories, it will import them.  Convenient!  It works well in most circumstances.  But in this case, where files disappear because they are unavailable... and then re-appear seconds later, this makes MC think the files are brand new!  So it re-imports them.  Turn this option off and run imports manually whenever you need to.  If you find this too inconvenient, just turn it back on.  It can lead to unusual behavior every now and then, but it's not nearly as invasive as #1 above.

There's another possibility though:
If you, or a program you use, renames files or directories on your NAS (where the music files are), then this same thing will happen: MC will see the old files "disappear" (because you renamed them) and then reappear with new names.  Again, leading to auto import finding them as new, importing them, and giving them fresh import dates.

Hopefully this helps you understand , diagnose, and fix your issue.

Good luck.

Brian.

barrettisgold

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 02:52:49 am »

I suggest you look at the following links to become more familiar with how to customize your views:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/View_Schemes
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68960.0
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Standard_View
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111775.0.html

In future when you have problems along the lines of "this doesn't look the way I want" you should provide a screenshot. Learning the correct terminology is helpful.  If you tell your doctor "My arm hurts" when the correct term was "head" you won't get good treatment.

Thanks Wer, those links were useful to brush up on the JRiver terminology. I mostly use JRiver with a headless Mac Mini controller by JRemote. Ideally a set and forget setup is what I want. I've never customised or created views before so this was very helpful to dig deeper.

When creating a new library view I had selected the 'Category' template when I should have selected 'Recent Albums' as a layout template.

I came across an issue for the method of sorting by 'date created' rather than 'recent imports', of course by its nature it doesn't always show recent imports at the top. I bought some albums last week. The files were created in 2018 so didn't show at the top as they would in recent albums. Certainly a good work around though and for the majority of new albums I buy the creation date is when I download them, and in this instance it works a charm. Thanks for your help and guidance.

There is really only one reason that MC will change the import date on already imported files:  This happens when the original file "disappears" and the "reappears" with a new name.  You are using a NAS which is a HUGE clue to this!

Many NAS devices will not be ready all the time.  Many of them go to sleep to save power.  As a result, many times they will not be ready to serve files when you first ask for them.  This can make it seem like files are "gone" to MC for a short time, while the NAS is still waking up.

Brian, this sounds very promising. You are correct, my NAS is set to sleep and needs to be woken at times when JRiver is trying to access a file. I really appreciate your help and will try your suggestions. This does help me understand, diagnose...and hopefully fix the issue!

Thank you all for your time and suggestions.

wer

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 03:01:29 am »

You certainly wouldn't want to use "Date Created".  There are a lot of gotchas with that, as you've seen.

I prefer my "Date Acquired" approach (described in the link I gave you above) over "Date Imported" because not only does it free me from having to track down every issue that can affect the import date (like the example Brian gave) but it also frees me to remove things from my library and re-import if I need to.  It makes the "Date Imported" field just a piece of data, instead of being so important that it affects things if its changed.

So I like the set it and forget it quality of using Date Acquired.  It lets me spend more time listening and less time fussing.

Good luck...
Pages: [1]   Go Up