INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tags YEAR and DATE  (Read 665 times)

bnilsson11

• Recent member
Tags YEAR and DATE
« on: April 05, 2020, 04:32:50 pm »

Dear JRiver support,

There are ID tags YEAR and DATE, and it seems like most music suppliers acknowledge DATE only, and use it for the release year. MediaCenter treats these tags as identical, i.e. when I change DATE to 2020 the tag YEAR changes to 2020 also. This may be fine, but when a supplier really use these tags as intended, YEAR=2020 and DATE=0304, things get screwed up.

One of my favourite disc labels (BIS) is consistent and does this correctly, and this means that Sorting by release date becomes meaningless for BIS albums.

Would it be possible to acknowledge both YEAR and DATE correctly when they both exist?

Yours truly

BN

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tags YEAR and DATE
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 09:15:44 pm »

MC is working correctly.

The [Date] field in MC isn't just the month and day. It is a fully qualified Year, Month, Day, Time value, such as "13/03/2020 7:11 pm" which is stored in MC's Library field as a numeric value using standard practice. In this case, the stored value is "43903.799317129625706", where "43903" is a specific day, and ".799317129625706" is the time of day. Have a look at the raw data in the [Date] field by creating an expression column in an appropriate View, and entering the expression [Date, 0]. The column will then show the numeric version of the [Date] value.

[Date] is not the Release date, [Date (release)] is the Release Date, and again is fully qualified.

If [Date] is provided but [Year] is not, MC sets [Year] to the year included in the [Date] metadata. If [Year] is provided but [Date] is not, MC sets [Date] to just the year in the [Year] metadata. They are linked fields. In fact, the [Year] field is defined using the Expression "FormatDate(Year)&DataType=Integer". So you can see [Year] is an integer value, not a date or string value. It is a whole number only.

Have a look at all the date field MC provides in "Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields".

BIS are doing it wrong if they only provide Day and Month in the Date tag.

Or your Views are formatted to show just Month and day.

Search the forum for "Release Date" and similar, and see what you can learn.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

bnilsson11

• Recent member
Re: Tags YEAR and DATE
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 05:21:07 am »

Roderick,

Thanks for the info, much useful.

To be fair, I have communicated with BIS and they informed me that they do not do their own tagging, it is a task for the download distributors. I will bring it up with the distributor that is causing the trouble.

I can confirm that my other source of BIS productions, Qobuz, does not have this problem.

BN
Pages: [1]   Go Up