INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: keyboard volume control stopped working when I update to MC 26.xxx  (Read 918 times)

bannonb

• Junior Woodchuck

Hey all:

Just upgraded from MC 25 to 26.  Just updated to .39 today.

Moved my custom resources/resource.xml file during 25-26 upgrade as I've had issues before.

I use a USB DAC.  I always used internal volume along with the selected DAC device (Audioengine D1) in MC Audio settings.  Using exclusive access as always.

It appears that after the upgrade I can't use my keyboard vol up and vol down keys to affect the MC volume slider.  I can click on the slider with my mouse or use volume knob on the DAC, but the keyboard is most convenient...

At one time I had placed a MCC command into the resource.xml file which may have helped me use my keyboard keys.   

<Entry Global="1" Param="0" Command="10018" Key="Ctrl;+"/>

Now even the global setting only allows me to control volume with cmd + or cmd - .  I understood global to mean MC didn't need to be in focus for that to work...but it's not working when out of focus.

In the end, I really prefer to use the vol up and vol down keys on my Logitech K350 keyboard.

What am I missing?  Can you assist?

Thanks,

BannonB
------
BannonB

bannonb

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: keyboard volume control stopped working when I update to MC 26.xxx
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 03:49:12 pm »

I reinstalled .39 from scratch.

Same result as far as volume control.  I am now relegated to using the knob on my USB DAC.

Keyboard vol control only controls mac speaker volume.  play/pause buttons launches Apple Music.  I also have no control of audio there, but play/pause works.

I have recently upgraded to MacOS 10.15.4.  Updated all keyboard firmware and drivers for new MacOS 10.15.

Love the Modern Card skins which put the window controls on the left side...consistent for Mac.

Any help is appreciated. 
------
BannonB

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 08:24:46 am »

My guess is that your Logictech keyboard controls emulate the Mac native keyboard media controls for Volume, play, etc.  The fact that Play on the keyboard launches ITunes definitely supports this theory; that's how a native Mac keyboard works.

MC has a setting for how to handle media keys:

Tools > Options > General > Advanced > Media Key Mode

Try setting that to "all" or "keyboard only" and see if that helps.

Good luck.
Brian.

bannonb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 10:21:37 am »

@Brian

Thanks.  I never used that Media Key Mode before...It just worked I guess.

It has no effect on the behavior where play/pause launches Music (formerly itunes). 

I attribute this to MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) which I upgraded to about a week before installing Media Center 26.

I am surprised more Mac users haven't chimed in as I would guess it is the new default behavior for media keys.  There are various 3rd party keyboard mappers (Media Key Forwarder for example--not available for 10.15 yet) and some articles on disabling Music altogether to allow their use in Spotify.

--I'm using a USB DAC which may not be that common.  When I use Macbook pro speakers, the Logitech keys do control play/pause for MC when in focus--

Anyway, it looks like I'm relegated to using CMD + and CMD - for volume and CMD 2 for play/pause until someone smarter than me solves this.

------
BannonB

HaWi

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 11:07:49 am »

I am surprised more Mac users haven't chimed in ...
I have no issues using my Matias BT keyboard's media controls. Works exactly as I expect but I have no DAC. Also, I use JRemote most of the time.
cheers,
Hans
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 11:57:40 am »

I attribute this to MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) which I upgraded to about a week before installing Media Center 26.

Ah, interesting.  Doing a web search I see lots of forum posts (Roon, Spotify, Reddit, etc) where people are complaining about this.

--I'm using a USB DAC which may not be that common.  When I use Macbook pro speakers, the Logitech keys do control play/pause for MC when in focus--

Hmm.  If it works for one thing and not the other, it sounds like maybe changing the volume mode would fix it.  Maybe. 
Tools > Options > Audio > Volume > Volume Mode > (I suggest Internal Volume)

Restart MC after you make the change and see what happens.

Good luck.

Brian.

bannonb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 05:51:32 pm »

I use internal volume so I can see the volume bar in MC.

If I use system volume and MacBook Pro speakers, it works fine.

Still in a quandary.  Using a company laptop and have to wait for MacOS updates until tested. So even If Apple has a fix, I’ll have to wait.
------
BannonB
Pages: [1]   Go Up