INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trailer function does not work in MC26  (Read 2132 times)

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
Trailer function does not work in MC26
« on: April 06, 2020, 06:07:35 pm »

I just installed MC26 and a very coveted feature of mine for Theater View, watch the trailer, does not work. I was told that installing MC26 would fix the problem. What can I do?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Trailer function does not work in MC26
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 08:42:53 pm »

Run the "Get Movie & TV Info" function against your movies, which will look up the web link from the internet and update the [Trailer] field in MC. The functionality requires the [Trailer] field to be filled in.

Forgive me, but where is the trailer field exactly? I'll check it.

You can add a [Trailer] column to a Playlist, Smartlist, or View to see what data it has, or just select a movie in Standard View and open the tagging Action Window to check the data.

Double-check the trailer field.  It should be something like:
webmedia://YouTube/4HooryZXjcE

Then as long as you are running MC26.0.47 trailers should work in Standard View and Theatre View, on a MC Standalone installation or Server, or a MC Client installation (a PC running MC connected to a MC Server).
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 10:49:25 pm »

Alright, we're getting closer.

I've rerun the "Get Info" on a test movie, I can now see the Trailer field with it populated with the link to the Youtube address.

Unfortunately, I still get the error, in both Theater View and Standard View. Something is up. Could something be blocking the loading of the link in JR?   

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 11:33:47 pm »

Could something be blocking the loading of the link in JR?   

Well, that could be it. I'm not sure, as I don't know what component/application is actually calling out the the internet. But usually firewalls allow outbound requests, and the response should be managed.

What was your test Movie? One of us could check if the Trailer functionality works for that movie. Sometimes there are issues with the URL, even outside MC.

In fact, copy the contents of the [Trailer] field and paste it into IE or Chrome, and see if it works. Use IE if that is the Web Browser Engine you use in MC. Use Chrome if you use Chromium in MC. See "Options > Tree & View > Web Browser > Engine".

Oh wait. That doesn't work anymore. Tell us the movie name, and year.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 06:38:52 am »

Unfortunately, I still get the error, in both Theater View and Standard View. Something is up. Could something be blocking the loading of the link in JR?   
Antivirus?  What OS?  What antivirus?

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 07:29:54 am »

Test movies [with the trailer link it has]:

Ad Astra (2019) [webmedia://YouTube/P6AaSMfXHbA]
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, the Wardrobe (2004) [webmedia://YouTube/ruGHxmjQ180]

I also manually looked up another trailer for The Chronicles of Narnia, modified it to fit the "webmedia://..." format and it gave the same error.

Antivirus: just the standard Windows defender
Router: Arris BGW210-700, AT&T Fiber

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 07:57:48 am »

You could try running youtube-dl manually.  It's in the plugins folder:
C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 26\Plugins\youtube-dl

Here is what I just ran to test your video:
youtube-dl -g -f best --no-warnings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6AaSMfXHbA

It worked for me.

Let us know what you get.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 08:24:42 am »

Ah, OK, perhaps closer still. I do not have youtube-dl it seems. All I have is what is in the screenshot below. I just did a fresh install/update of MC26, so it is surprisingly that anything could be missing. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 08:32:16 am »

Something is probably blocking the install.  Disable and try playback again.

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 08:41:13 am »

Disable what? Blocking the install? Isn't it already installed?

Could you manually provide the youtube-dl and I copy and paste it to this directory, to see if that will work?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 08:43:02 am »

It's here:
http://files.jriver.com/dependencies/plugins/youtube-dl/youtube-dl_v1.zip

Make a folder youtube-dl under Plugins and put the file in that folder.

Then try playback and see if you have any better luck.

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 09:01:24 am »

Thanks for the file.

So, no luck in playing automatically.

I ran the test (by manually clicking on the youtube-dl.exe file) and attempted to put in the command but the CMD window does not allow me to type anything and it closes after about 5 seconds. So this seems to be the problem. Any suggestions?

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 10:57:04 am »

Or is my case just helpless?  ;D

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 03:40:03 pm »

Or is my case just helpless?  ;D

Hardly.

Even a brand new fresh MC installation doesn't have all components installed. Some component are downloaded and installed as required, the YouTube downloader being one of them. The first time you tried to play a trailer (and probably every subsequent time) MC would have tried to download the required software and install it.

So, something on your PC is blocking that download and installation. It will be your security software, that is, Antivirus or Firewall. If you are just using Windows Defender then find the post "Taming Windows Defender" and follow the recommendations. Fixing that is your best solution. If you use some other security software, you will have to set that to allow MC to download components. Your PC is connected to the internet, I assume?

Don't worry that Matt's command didn't work. It didn't work for me either, probably because you and I don't have Windows set to open a https URL in a browser from the Command window automatically.

The way you would use it to test the copy of youtube-dl that you downloaded is (I think):

1. Press Windows Key+R. Type "cmd" without quotes and press enter. That will open a Windows Command window.
2. Copy the following command, paste it into the Command window and press enter: CD %AppData%\J River\Media Center 26\Plugins\youtube-dl
3. Copy Matt's command from below, or here: youtube-dl -g -f best --no-warnings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6AaSMfXHbA
4. Paste that command into the Command window using Ctrl+V and press enter. If Windows was set correctly to open a URL from a Command window, your browser would open and play the video. In my case the command just responded with the URL below.

Click that URL now and the video should play. Tell us if it didn't.

https://r6---sn-uxanug5-hxay.googlevideo.com/videoplayback?expire=1586311975&ei=x96MXpWeBvyF1AaSoY3oDw&ip=2001%3A8003%3A54e0%3A9801%3A3169%3Aa03e%3A3398%3A389b&id=o-ADYwi5lcL19iV-85msSce0PuQoedi5XC1_Q8TGG0e0ex&itag=22&source=youtube&requiressl=yes&mh=cW&mm=31%2C29&mn=sn-uxanug5-hxay%2Csn-ntqe6nee&ms=au%2Crdu&mv=m&mvi=5&pcm2cms=yes&pl=39&initcwndbps=957500&vprv=1&mime=video%2Fmp4&ratebypass=yes&dur=152.833&lmt=1570270397958619&mt=1586290297&fvip=1&c=WEB&txp=5535432&sparams=expire%2Cei%2Cip%2Cid%2Citag%2Csource%2Crequiressl%2Cvprv%2Cmime%2Cratebypass%2Cdur%2Clmt&sig=AJpPlLswRgIhAOlZqQd0fydYd0WgI5N3aHFhyg-Hx7abM-idpywxvZ7YAiEArx58g64ZpTQMhXh6h_daFJFLzAEhJnYe-CHGj_7zPog%3D&lsparams=mh%2Cmm%2Cmn%2Cms%2Cmv%2Cmvi%2Cpcm2cms%2Cpl%2Cinitcwndbps&lsig=ALrAebAwRQIgaWT4VkXb83_VxKpRijEGISHFRM7L66jx_JqOBNLL98wCIQDE5ViKMXxxO3c_s07tLBm7H7u7yUwB4EaVuPumQkzUaw%3D%3D

Note that if you did unzip the youtube_dl_v1.zip file into a directory you created at "C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 26\Plugins\youtube-dl" then the trailer should have played inside MC. Did you put it in the correct place?

[UserID] is your Windows User ID.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 04:54:17 am »

In my case the command just responded with the URL below.

Note that these URLs are only valid for a short time, so its not expected to work if anyone else clicks it just now, just to avoid confusion!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 06:39:36 am »

It did play for me when I tried it yesterday.

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 01:39:06 pm »

Thank you for all the replies. I'm working on applies all these suggestions. I will get back soon!

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 01:50:07 pm »

So, something on your PC is blocking that download and installation. It will be your security software, that is, Antivirus or Firewall. If you are just using Windows Defender then find the post "Taming Windows Defender" and follow the recommendations. Fixing that is your best solution. If you use some other security software, you will have to set that to allow MC to download components. Your PC is connected to the internet, I assume?

Don't worry that Matt's command didn't work. It didn't work for me either, probably because you and I don't have Windows set to open a https URL in a browser from the Command window automatically.

The way you would use it to test the copy of youtube-dl that you downloaded is (I think):

1. Press Windows Key+R. Type "cmd" without quotes and press enter. That will open a Windows Command window.
2. Copy the following command, paste it into the Command window and press enter: CD %AppData%\J River\Media Center 26\Plugins\youtube-dl
3. Copy Matt's command from below, or here: youtube-dl -g -f best --no-warnings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6AaSMfXHbA
4. Paste that command into the Command window using Ctrl+V and press enter. If Windows was set correctly to open a URL from a Command window, your browser would open and play the video. In my case the command just responded with the URL below.

Click that URL now and the video should play. Tell us if it didn't.

Wow, I can't thank you enough. Here's what I've done and responses:

1. Followed  "Taming Windows Defender" and follow the recommendations.
2. Connected to internet: yes, 100mbps.
3. Concerning the cmd and the youtube-dl....  Yes, this is what happened with me. All that happened is that it reported a URL in the cmd window (copied below). I copy and pasted it in a browser, and it indeed did play the trailer.

So it seems to be some problem with my PC not allowing the URL to open in a browser or some related problem. Any suggestions? Thank you again!

https://r6---sn-q4f7sn7l.googlevideo.com/videoplayback?expire=1586393253&ei=RRyOXr-FEtDhwQGj6qbgAQ&ip=99.23.37.2&id=o-APTTCErVDTE3OkjkIrViDfDMsOxTLJCcT0Iv-zYJmSJN&itag=22&source=youtube&requiressl=yes&mh=cW&mm=31%2C29&mn=sn-q4f7sn7l%2Csn-q4flrne6&ms=au%2Crdu&mv=m&mvi=5&pl=16&initcwndbps=1088750&vprv=1&mime=video%2Fmp4&ratebypass=yes&dur=152.833&lmt=1570270397958619&mt=1586371537&fvip=1&c=WEB&txp=5535432&sparams=expire%2Cei%2Cip%2Cid%2Citag%2Csource%2Crequiressl%2Cvprv%2Cmime%2Cratebypass%2Cdur%2Clmt&sig=AJpPlLswRgIhAOKxe1QABA2uswJhNgm0WSJFMo5oMK73lz79TeFFyLdDAiEAjCij_cDfQNR-zyEvpSkk594yZqVMOHt_0lxlQw1bHb4%3D&lsparams=mh%2Cmm%2Cmn%2Cms%2Cmv%2Cmvi%2Cpl%2Cinitcwndbps&lsig=ALrAebAwRQIgAU-1Iro7ZD2FKjX-Jn4Ea1HPQrCYaeFZrOSSfIxBVOICIQC8-ZR-npQ3IWcxrYAQdgP1Spv6B4_Ba0PXyTfcFi1pYg%3D%3D

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2020, 02:08:40 pm »

Note that if you did unzip the youtube_dl_v1.zip file into a directory you created at "C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 26\Plugins\youtube-dl" then the trailer should have played inside MC. Did you put it in the correct place?

I think so, I've put a screenshot below.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 07:31:54 pm »

Note that these URLs are only valid for a short time, so its not expected to work if anyone else clicks it just now, just to avoid confusion!

Thanks Hendrik. I didn't know that. Worked for 24 hours or so and now doesn't.

I think so, I've put a screenshot below.

That looks correct. But I'm wondering if just copying that program into the correct directory actually works straight away, or if MC needs to set something to use it internally. I guess it should work as Matt suggested it...

Ah yes, MC requires a Registry setting for this to work. See image.

If you are comfortable editing the Registry you could try adding that setting yourself. However, now that you have tamed Windows Defender I suggest that you delete the "youtube-dll" directory with MC closed, open MC and then try playing a trailer again in Standard View, using the right-click menu. If all goes well you should see a message from MC "Adding components" or similar, and then the trailer should play. It may take a minute or so to download the YouTube downloader again, if the internet is busy (you have great internet speed!), and the trailer may take a while to start, so give it a little time.

Thank you again!

You're welcome.

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2020, 11:55:27 pm »

Thank you again for this.

Well, I am sorry to say that it still did not work. Man, this is so frustrating. Steps I took:

1. I first tried to simply delete the youtube-dl folder with plugin in the AppData, restart MC26, and see if it would install the component automatically. Alas, it failed.
2. Therefore, I then copied the youtube-dl folder back into the AppData. I then created the registry entry. Closed. Restarted the PC. Fired up MC26. STILL GOT THE ERROR.

I almost feel sheepish in asking for more help. This obviously looks like a flaw on my PC. Funny thing is, when the feature came out in MC25, it worked. But then just stopped working one day. Very strange indeed.

I'd appreciate any further help, if you don't mind. Perhaps a full new reinstall?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2020, 02:03:44 am »

Well, there is another Registry setting related to MC26 that may be required. I thought that first one would do it. Why MC isn't installing required components is a mystery though.

Anyway, the second Registry setting is shown in the attached image. The parts of the URI highlighted in yellow should be the same for you, but the part highlighted in red will be different, as it will be PC dependent, I think. You should be able to drill down to the location inside "Computer\HKEY_USERS\" and find the section "\Software\JRiver\Media Center 26\Dependencies" though, then add the "youtube-dl" section under that.

Hopefully, that will fix it.

Otherwise, produce a log file of an attempt to play a trailer and post it. Make sure you Reset the log before trying a trailer again, so that the log is small. Post the whole zip file.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Logging

When you post the log, mention the name of the Movie you were using as a test, and the full filename and path, so it will be easy to find.

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2020, 06:38:28 am »

Well, there is another Registry setting related to MC26 that may be required. I thought that first one would do it. Why MC isn't installing required components is a mystery though.

Anyway, the second Registry setting is shown in the attached image. The parts of the URI highlighted in yellow should be the same for you, but the part highlighted in red will be different, as it will be PC dependent, I think. You should be able to drill down to the location inside "Computer\HKEY_USERS\" and find the section "\Software\JRiver\Media Center 26\Dependencies" though, then add the "youtube-dl" section under that.

Hopefully, that will fix it.

Oddly enough, I already had a reg. key for this (see pic below). The mysterious continues... I'll post a log. THank you!

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2020, 06:58:14 am »

Attached is the log.

I tried to play two movie trailers:

1. D:\Test for tmm\Ad Astra (2019).mkv
2. D:\Test for tmm\Batman Begins (2005).mkv

I'm not familiar with the log files but I did try and find a line in the log with either filename above and was unable to do so. Hopefully this will help. Thank you!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 05:40:07 pm »

I found the problem... well, a problem, and it is probably the problem.

You are running MC26.0.30. YouTube functionality was fixed in MC26.0.29,30,32, and 33. The later fixes are required. See https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes_MC26

Update to the latest public release, MC26.0.47 and try again. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,124712.0.html

I should have confirmed what version you were using earlier. My bad. Assumptions. They get you all the time!

Oh wait, I did say you needed MC26.0.47 in my first post:
<snip>
Then as long as you are running MC26.0.47<snip>

Are you using MC's automatic update process and the Stable Update Channel? You must be because you said days ago:
<snip>I just did a fresh install/update of MC26 <snip>

I'm not sure which version is currently marked as Stable, but you need to update to the Latest for now. The link above provides the download.

After the update, delete the youtube-dl directory again and then test again.

wer

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 06:05:37 pm »

I've been monitoring this thread due to possible relation to another issue, so just as an aside, I can confirm this works for me in .47; it downloaded the plugin and played the trailer.

This despite the fact that trying to use the Youtube menu option in Theater View hangs MC hard, as has been reported in this thread:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,124773.0.html

Rod, Matt, or Hendrik, if you have any thoughts on that issue in the thread above it would be appreciated.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 06:14:45 pm »

BTW, the log showed that MC tried to get the trailer four times for each movie, failing with a message like:

0012437: 1608: Reader: CWinINetReader::Open: ConnectToURL failed, m_bConnectError=true, URL=webmedia://YouTube/P6AaSMfXHbA

Which is the Ad Astra trailer link.

jsmith967

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 06:30:13 pm »

I found the problem... well, a problem, and it is probably the problem.

You are running MC26.0.30. YouTube functionality was fixed in MC26.0.29,30,32, and 33. The later fixes are required. See https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes_MC26

Update to the latest public release, MC26.0.47 and try again. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,124712.0.html

I should have confirmed what version you were using earlier. My bad. Assumptions. They get you all the time!

Oh wait, I did say you needed MC26.0.47 in my first post:
Are you using MC's automatic update process and the Stable Update Channel? You must be because you said days ago:

I'm not sure which version is currently marked as Stable, but you need to update to the Latest for now. The link above provides the download.

After the update, delete the youtube-dl directory again and then test again.

This worked!!!! Updated to the latest (not stable) release, deleted the old youtube-dl file and it worked. Wow, thank you so much!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 06:32:49 pm »

Excellent.  8)

Now upgrade to MC26.0.52. It just went public half an hour ago.  ;D https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,124842.0.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up