INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Double click action?  (Read 582 times)

abozo

• Recent member
Double click action?
« on: April 07, 2020, 12:22:14 am »

A simple question.  :-[

I use two main views: Artists and Composers.  Both display a grid of Album thumbnails.

When I double click on an album thumbnail, the action is different depending on the view:
1) Artists: a pane (window?) opens up so I can edit individual file tags.  Now Playing is not affected.  This is what I want.
2) Composers: the album starts to play immediately but the individual files are not displayed.

How do I make Composers view act in the same way as Artists view?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Double click action?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 03:56:17 am »

No simple answer, as far as I know.

You can also just click on the Disclosure Triangles (small, barely visible upward facing triangles in the line at the bottom of the View) to display all files included in the level of the View that you are sitting at, or the selected items in the top pane.

There is no standard Composers View, so it must be a View you built. I was looking at the standard Genre View, which is a Categories View with the defined levels of "Genre > Album Artist Auto > Album", and I found that if I double-clicked a Genre which contained multiple Albums from one Album Artist, when I double-clicked on most Album Artists the Albums were shown in the top pane and the file details were shown in the bottom pane for all Albums. But for some values of [Album Artist (auto)] the bottom pane was not opened.

I couldn't see any reason for the Genre View behaving that way. It sounds like you Composer View is behaving in a similar way, except that the bottom details pane is never opening.

You could try comparing the standard Artists View definition to your Composer View and see if anything is obviously different. Although in the case of the Genre View above, the behaviour seemed to be data driven, and not based on the VIew definition.

Anyway, just use the Disclosure Triangles, or if you want a better answer, share the View definition for your Composers View. Someone may have a better answer.

PS: When the details aren't displayed, playback is probably starting because you have the double-click behaviour in "Options > General > Behaviour > Double-click" set to "Add to Playing Now (play now)". But for that to happen, MC has to have decided that you have selected all the files for the Composer, or the Album if you are talking about that level in the View, rather than just selecting the Album to display the Tracks. Strange behaviour. Well, in my Genres View anyway.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

abozo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 01:48:47 pm »

First, thank you for a very comprehensive reply.   :)

I couldn't find the Disclosure Triangles to which you refer.  I can see no 'line at the bottom of the view' in the case of either view.

You're right, I must've built my Composers view in an attempt to better curate my library of mixed musical genres.  I am quickly regretting starting the mammoth re-tagging task.  I probably needed guidance before I started.  Or easier still, give up on all my FLACs and switch to Qobuz streaming or even Roon  :'(

My two view definitions are attached, if anyone would care to comment.

I will now work through your reply in more detail.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 07:00:37 pm »

Just quickly posting an image showing Disclosure Triangles locations.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 09:25:36 pm »

Your Composer View is a Panes style View, as shown by the "View As" dropdown in the top left corner of your second image. That is a completely different style of View to a Categories style View, which is what the Artists View is.

I thought we were talking about two Categories Views. My bad. I should have checked before confusing the issue with what I found with the Genres View.

Bottom line: Your Composer View, being a Panes style View, is working as intended.

To fix: Change your Composer View to a Categories View, and make sure that the "Always show files" under "View Details" on the right is ticked. See the first attached image.
          Of course, the List Style in the top Pane of this View should be "Thumbnails", as shown in the second attached image.

I wish I could point you to one place to learn more about Views and how they work, but alas, there is no one place, with knowledge spread across the Wiki and forum, and much of it out of date. The best way to learn is trial and error, and asking questions as you have. Just make sure that when you try stuff out, you copy any Default View that you may want to alter, or save it as a new View when MC gives you the option. Or create the View from scratch as you did with the Composer View. You don't want to edit the Default Views and lose them when trialling new View ideas.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 09:42:25 pm »

Take a look at this post where Wer provides some suggested reading about Views: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,124786.msg864304.html#msg864304

abozo

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 01:49:11 am »

Thank you very much for your help.  That has explained it all.  As I thought, I was making a basic mistake.

Though I cannot guarantee the exact causality, the disclosure triangles really were not visible on the bottom line until I changed my view to a Categories view, and then disabled 'Automatically hide taskbar in desktop mode'.  They are now clearly visible.

I have lots more learning to do!   ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up