INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAS Problem  (Read 1727 times)

jmrdc

• World Citizen
NAS Problem
« on: April 11, 2020, 08:43:46 pm »

I would like to know why, since, as other users have said, the NAS is the new home appliance.  MC is such a good product, why not? 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Honestly, why no support for NAS?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 08:53:11 pm »

There used to be a version of MC that ran on a NAS. JRiver developed and maintained it, with the support of the NAS provider, naturally. It is their OS after all.

The NAS provider withdrew their support, so JRiver could no longer maintain the package. JRiver bore the cost of development, and hence lost out in the relationship.

Once (twice, three times, etc. this sort of issue happens regularly with third party support) bitten, twice shy.

There is a way to run MC on a NAS. Search the forum for it. Or maybe someone will direct you to the topic.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 10:41:10 am »

Ah, good to know.  Thanks Roderick.

cshl

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 11:36:44 pm »

I got an iMac and I am using NAS...no problem.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 01:17:51 am »

We are talking about MC actually running on a NAS, not just connecting to a NAS, importing and serving files from it.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 01:47:17 am »

Help?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 06:57:48 am »

NAS drives are just computers, so I don't see the advantage of using one, but if you have one you can import your  files in a copy of MC running on another computer.

We have no plans to support them directly.

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 10:53:41 pm »

Can you PM me on how?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 11:35:00 pm »

Can you PM me on how?

I'm pretty sure cshl is just talking about using a NAS as a network drive, which is just like using any external drive, such as a USB drive, only the NAS is network connected.

Google, or any NAS provider, can tell you how to do that. The forum is also littered with threads on how to use a NAS with MC, how to fix issues with that style of installation, and the Best Practice for how to run MC with a NAS. Start searching.

If you really want to install MC on a NAS, start reading here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123693.0.html

But that solution is completely unsupported, complex, and requires some technical knowhow to install and maintain.

If you don't understand what they are talking about in the above thread, and can't learn how to do it yourself, then forget about installing MC on a NAS. If you need an external storage device rather than just running MC on a stand-alone PC, buy a suitable PC to run as a Windows File Server, install Windows 10 Pro onto it, and use that as you would use any NAS for file storage, serving, and also as a MC Server.

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 11:39:00 pm »

I appreciate your input, totally.  I am proficient with networking, and, honestly don’t want to add MC to my NAS, but I’ve tried everything I know how to hook it up...It’s just not working....wherein lies my frustration.

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 12:12:44 am »

Got it working...THANKS to all.

Now, I just need to figure out how to add my playlists  ::)

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 02:20:08 am »

Spoke too soon...can't connect to NAS, unless it doubles up on files... ?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 02:39:14 am »

If MC doubles up on files, it is most likely that you have set up two paths in Auto Import that point to the same physical files. Therefore, MC imports the same files twice, once via each path, because it doesn't know they are the same files.

i.e. An M:\ drive that is mapped to \\MyNAS\Music, and \\MyNAS\Music directly.

Also, make sure that any DLNA Server running on the NAS is turned off. You do not want MC to import files via a DLNA Server running on the NAS. It is less efficient, less functional, and causes confusion when you try to connect to the MC DLNA Server with any DLNA Client, such as BubbleUPnP or a third party DLNA Player.

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 02:52:10 am »

Perfect...thank you.  I’ve decided to retire for the night, lest I screw up anything else...will use your advice tomorrow after a reset.  Thanks so much for your input!! 

HaWi

Re: NAS Problem
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 04:32:49 pm »

FWIW, I have all my media files on a Synology DS1819+ and MC deals with it, no problem. What I do is this:
I mount the Synology music folder which contains all my Audio files by default (added to my start-up items in MacOS Preferences). I use "[NASname].local" to connect to the NAS from MacOS Finder. I point MC to this folder as the location of media (I only use Audio in MC so far).
I have autoimport turned off. I find I have much more control over what happens when I import folders manually. The Synology Media server (DLNA) is also running and doesn't interfere in my experience. That way I can use DS Audio to stream all my music when I am away from home (I found JRemote just a bit too unstable to do that, especially when driving).
Cheers,
Hans
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2020, 05:52:08 pm »

It’s worth a ton, Hans!  Running a similar setup w/ Synology here.  Still updating, but will follow your lead.  May have extra questions when I get there.  Thanks again!

Again, still importing files, but using Roderick’s advice by turning all Synology DNLA services off for now.  I’ll try your suggestion later...it’s not like I don’t have time..haha.

JR

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 10:20:24 pm »

Still a work in progress after 36 hours of re-indexing, but wanted to say thank you for everyone who helped out and answered questions.  Great people, product, and forum!

HaWi

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2020, 08:51:42 am »

It’s worth a ton, Hans!  Running a similar setup w/ Synology here.  Still updating, but will follow your lead.  May have extra questions when I get there.  Thanks again!

Again, still importing files, but using Roderick’s advice by turning all Synology DNLA services off for now.  I’ll try your suggestion later...it’s not like I don’t have time..haha.

JR
Glad I could help and I'd  be more than happy to answer more questions, if I can.
And, yes, always follow Roderick's advice. He is infinitely more experienced with MC than I am. He and Brian and the other support guys here on the forum have really enabled me to get out of MC what I want. They are truly amazing.
Cheers,
Hans
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
JRemote 3.43

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 08:09:55 pm »

I have autoimport turned off. I find I have much more control over what happens when I import folders manually.

Hans,
What extra control do you have when not using auto import...just wondering.

Thanks
JR

HaWi

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2020, 08:57:26 am »

Hans,
What extra control do you have when not using auto import...just wondering.

Thanks
JR
JR, I guess what troubles me with auto import is that I don't know what is happening. When I manually import, I choose the folder, I check immediately in the "Recently Imported" Playlist and update the fields that need updating right away. Whatever I import are mostly purchased albums or individual tracks that never adhere exactly to the format I have chosen as my "standard" so they have to be updated.
I regard my music library as a garden with a high diversity of "plants". I am the gardener, I nourish the "plants" by maintaining their tags and physical files. There is no such thing as an automatic garden. Also, with MC, I finally have the tools to see my garden flourish as never before.
Best wishes,
Hans

JRemote 3.43

jmrdc

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2020, 11:26:15 am »

Totally understand, especially with the analogy  :D

Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up