INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: issue saving option when not connected to network drives  (Read 385 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
issue saving option when not connected to network drives
« on: April 16, 2020, 11:04:03 am »

I tried to install the WMD drivers in MC, and when I went to save, I got the message that the "Audion file location cannot be read-only"  It's set to save to the M:/ drive, which is a mapped drive to my server.  I'm away from that location now, so the location/mapped drive is currently unavailable.

The issue is that I can't save any option changes to MC without changing this location to a local drive.  I don't want to have to do this to save something completely unrelated to this location, then have to remember to change it back after I reconnect.  It doesn't give this error for all the other media types which are also not available, so I suspect this 'error' is a bug and can be fixed.
pretend this is something funny

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: issue saving option when not connected to network drives
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 07:57:41 pm »

Do you mean the WMDM (Windows Media Device Manager) software in the Handheld options, or the WDM Driver in General options?

Either way doesn't matter I guess. If you make changes to Options in MC, it appears to check, every time, if all paths in Options exist, and creates them if they don't. This is to prevent MC from crashing at a later time when it might try to read from or write to such paths. I believe it is by design, and not a bug.

You get that message about audio files because that is the path that is not available, or is the first path checked that is not available. If you changed that path and video still pointed to a non-available path, then you would get a message the about video path.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 08:16:04 pm »

Do you mean the WMDM (Windows Media Device Manager) software in the Handheld options, or the WDM Driver in General options?

Either way doesn't matter I guess. If you make changes to Options in MC, it appears to check, every time, if all paths in Options exist, and creates them if they don't. This is to prevent MC from crashing at a later time when it might try to read from or write to such paths. I believe it is by design, and not a bug.

You get that message about audio files because that is the path that is not available, or is the first path checked that is not available. If you changed that path and video still pointed to a non-available path, then you would get a message the about video path.

WDM Driver, but as you say, I don't think it matters; it's when trying to save any change in the options that brings this 'error' message.

I understand your thought that this is to prevent other errors later, but it's not ideal.  MC knows to 'ignore' network paths that are unavailable when doing an auto import, so it can know what's an unavailable network drive.  If I had entered a 'bad' path, then tried to save, yes, stop me with an error message, but those settings are/were fine when I opened the settings dialog box, so as long as that's not the option I'm changing, it should just let the otherwise fine path stay, and not stop me from making other/unrelated changes.
pretend this is something funny

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 08:20:15 pm »

Maybe. I can't add any more information. JRiver will need to respond.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up