INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble tuning with CableCard Tuners [Solved]  (Read 845 times)

greynolds

• Citizen of the Universe
Trouble tuning with CableCard Tuners [Solved]
« on: April 16, 2020, 08:56:54 pm »

Nevermind - a device on my network had one of the tuners locked.  Rebooting the tuners seems to have resolved the issue.

-----
I did a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 on my PC last weekend and everything was working fine until this morning.  Now any recording that attempts to use a CableCard tuner or attempting to watch live TV on a CableCard tuner gives me the following error in the log:

"Critical error encountered. SetChannel failed on tuner device.  Please make sure the channel is valid. The parameter is incorrect."

I have 3 of the 3 tuner SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime CableCard tuners.

The SiliconDust TV app can access the tuners just fine on this PC, so I know the tuners are OK.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Trouble tuning with CableCard Tuners [Solved]
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 07:26:48 am »

Whew ;D
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

greynolds

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 07:54:22 am »

Whew ;D
Yeah :).

However, what I ran into here does bring up a few points / questions:

I figured out how to fix it partially by changing the tuner priority.  I swapped the priority of the first and second CableCard tuners and JRiver then happily tuned a channel for LiveTV.  Before swapping the tuner priority, why did JRiver not try the 2nd, 3rd, and so on priority tuners rather than just giving up after it was unable to use the first tuner?  Same thing with a recording - based on the logs, it simply gave up rather than moving on to the next tuner in the list (I have a total of 9 CableCard tuners - 3 HDHomeRun boxes).

I also noticed another issue while investigating this.  In TV Options > Advanced > Show status, only the first 14 tuners are shown and there's no scrollbar to see the status for the remaining tuners (I have a total of 35 tuners, 26 OTA and 9 CableCard).  There is the option to use TV Options > Advanced > Copy television filter related info to clipboard, but it would probably make sense to add a scrollbar to the Show status popup for those of us who are crazy enough to have more than 14 tuners (and actually part of the info for tuner number 14 gets chopped off).  In case it matters, I've got the Windows desktop resolution set to 4K and setup to display at 200% so it's easier to read.

Finally, I have sometimes noticed a message in the logs that includes "putting tuner into an error state".  What does that actually mean and is there a way to clear that state?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 04:08:06 pm »

When an error like that occurs, MC puts the tuner in error state for 3 minutes (it used to be 30 minutes).  During that period, TV recording will pick up another tuner.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up