INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: movie playlist  (Read 1051 times)

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
movie playlist
« on: April 18, 2020, 11:43:11 am »

hi all just asking for bit of help on this , the wife wants to add some movies into a playlist so the kids and her have got movies they like to watch at hand we use only theater view mode only hence its the front end for our lounge htpc but for life of me cant find a way to do it in theater view any help would be great.. (oh i found right click on movie brings up a context menu with add but when clicking  add it plays the movie so help is still needed)

thanks

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: movie playlist
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 08:47:56 pm »

It would be easier to build the Playlist in Standard View. But if that doesn't suit, you still need to create a Playlist in Standard View, then you can add movies to that Playlist in Theatre View, without having to play them to get access to the right-click menu. Actually, I'm not sure which "Add" function you found, unless it was in Standard View. You can create a Playlist in Theatre View by playing a video, right-clicking, selecting "Send To (playing track) > Playlist > Create Playlist" if you prefer, but you don't get to control the Playlist name then. You just get "New Playlist".

Anyway, just create a Playlist in Standard View by any means, the easiest of which is to click "Build Playlist" in the Action Window and name that Playlist whatever you want. I used "Movie Time", but if you want the Playlist to be easy to access you might want to place it in a Playlist Group so that it sorts to the top of the list that will later be shown in Theatre View. i.e. Maybe "\A Movie Playlist\Movie Time".  https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Playlists

Then when your family is looking through movies in Theatre View, if they spot something they want to add to the Playlist, just select the movie, then select "Add to Playlist" from the top menu, scroll down to the "\A Movie Playlist\Movie Time" item which should be near the top and select OK on your remote.

The Playlist created will be visible under the "Playlists" menu option in the top-level menu in Theatre View. You could add a Playlists menu sub-item in the Movie menu if you wished to make it more accessible.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wer

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 10:07:40 pm »

Why fixate on a playlist at all?  It's not a natural way to display movies.

It would be cleaner and more flexible to just build a separate view called "Kids' Movies" in theater view and just include in that view only the movies you want.  That could be done by rating, or a special tag, or just by putting "kids" in the comment field for each movie.

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 01:33:59 am »

thanks for the replys  . family had talk and it was all voted to dump this as a htpc software so we will be trying mediaportal and kodi today jriver just cant keep up with the other htpc frontend, shame its so lockdown in theather view it's like apple and microsofts software ie apple tv and windows media center where cant do anything , maybe if we where into music only jriver would work  but as family htpc frontend it's not great cumbersome.

wer

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 01:39:39 am »

I thought you wanted a solution, but I guess not.  Your locked down comment is, quite honestly laughable.  MC is ridiculously flexible.  It's too bad you couldn't learn that.

Theater View does need an update, but there are lots of different ways to do things.  It does have a learning curve though.  Sorry it was too hard for you.

Good luck on your adventure.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 06:05:54 am »

Why fixate on a playlist at all?  It's not a natural way to display movies.

It would be cleaner and more flexible to just build a separate view called "Kids' Movies" in theater view and just include in that view only the movies you want.  That could be done by rating, or a special tag, or just by putting "kids" in the comment field for each movie.
This is the right answer.

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 08:32:25 am »

thanks for the reply but im trying to use this software as a frontend to my htpc via the server client connect so i hate where i have to keep going to the standard view to adjust things when these things should be available in theater via a remote button ie say (i'm using mce 2005 remote) red button to bring up context menu to add movies to playlist and when finishing the movie to add then you should have it say save playlist then you use virtual keybaord to give it a name all in theater view; like subtitles you can only down load them when you manually add movies, that should be a button on remote where once you enter movie details screen press a button on remote context menu pops up and lists subs for movie where you highlight one and good to go..... all the other frontends have this (jriver and wmc dont thats what i mean by its very lockdown also you cant change the genre art to a better fancier art ....

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 10:03:40 am »

One thing that can be changed in Theatre View (while watching the movie) is the Rating.

So can create a View in Theatre View that lists only movies with say rating 3 to 5.

Then your family while watching the movie and deciding to include it in your special list can give it rating 3 to 5.
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 06:09:10 pm »

This is the right answer.

Yes. But sometimes I answer the question asked, rather than dig into the underlying issue.

There are so many ways in MC to create a list of movies in different groupings that I could have written a book... but the real underlying issue turns out to be the capability and flexibility to do all those things, or at least a subset, in Theatre View via a remote control.

That's not going to happen, in any application, because a remote control isn't capable enough. Add a keyboard and an application may come close. MC can use a keyboard in Theatre View, sort of (numbers always get treated as letters like a mobile phone keypad) which helps. But there just isn't going to be a button for every function a user wants, and so there will be customisation of buttons required, and... like I say, a book.

Maybe some of those specific functions, like adding a movie to a list (a Playlist, but what's in a name) for later viewing, downloading subtitles, getting trailer data, rating, etc. could be added to Theatre View so that it works better for a family of adults and children. When I say add those functions, I mean add them in such a way that they are easy to access and use with a thought-out and probably a configurable layout. Just take a look at tagging in Theatre View. It is primitive.

Me, I just drop into Standard View and do what is required.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 01:32:21 am »

Hahaha ... that is so true ... you can write a whole book on how to use MC ... that’s why I usually keep my mouth shut when ppl ask for proper documentation ... I wrote a small program that simulate logical circuits for my undergraduate degree - writing crappy manual to it took as much time as coding the project lol
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)
Pages: [1]   Go Up