INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Having trouble isolating playback problem  (Read 726 times)

Atlplasma

• Recent member
Having trouble isolating playback problem
« on: April 19, 2020, 01:18:13 pm »

Here is my setup: MC26 on 2008 Mac Mini output over USB to Singx SPDIF converter to MiniDSP 4x10HD to LXmini speakers. When I start MC, there is no sound. I've connected and disconnected everything and swapped the Singx for an Aimpire DAC. I've tried using MC on my iMac and still can't play through my music system.

I've noticed that both Macs have a problem sticking with the USB converter as the output. Whenever I click play, the computer defaults back to the internal output. Since this behavior occurs with the Singx and the Aimpire, I am thinking there is an issue with the MiniDSP 4x10HD.

With the 4x10HD, I've tried connecting through all the digital and analog input without success. I also tried playing a CD by connecting my Oppo player to the device. Nothing works.

I'm about ready to order a new board for the 4x10HD but want first want to see if anyone thinks I've missed something. (And yes, I've made sure the sound is not muted or turned all the way off.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Having trouble isolating playback problem
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 01:27:50 pm »

Can you get sound from another application?

Did you select the audio output device in MC's Audio settings?

Atlplasma

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 01:54:34 pm »

I tried Music on the iMac and iTunes on the Mini. Neither app would play through the external output. I played with MC's audio and DSP setting and nothing seems to make any difference. It's very frustrating.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 02:55:02 pm »

Start at the end of the chain:  The speakers.   Presumably you have several (4?) amplifiers connected to the LX Minis.  I would expect them to have analog inputs.  I would connect a sound source directly to those inputs, with the amp volume turned all the way down, and see if you get sound.  Start with the low frequency driver.

If you get sound there, you know it works up to that point.  Testing the MiniDSP is more complex since it's a fully programmable device.  I'm not 100% sure where to start with that one without carefully reading the manual.  Perhaps the manufacturer can advise you on a test to perform to see if it works or not.

Verify each component backwards from the speakers and you'll find where it works and where it does not.

Good luck to you!

Brian.

mdooney@gmail.com

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 09:06:31 am »

My playback problem: Mac mini to LG Ultrafine monitor. Core Audio is default.  Playback through Mac Mini speakers works fine.  Playback through LG monitor prompts Playback Problem message. 

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 03:54:33 pm »

A very similar question was asked fairly recently.  I don't know if my response helped, but here's my advice:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,124479.0.html

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up