INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please ensure that a suitable optical drive is installed on this machine  (Read 687 times)

jeraldej

• Recent member

Hi,

I think I need to get a new USB BluRay player, so I am looking for feedback on those known to work

This is the first time that I am attempting to RIP or play a BluRay disk directly on to my Macbook Pro 15 Mid-2012
Running MacOS 10.14.6
Media Center 26.0.29

I have a relatively old Pioneer BDR USB 3.0 drive
It is version 1.0 with FW version 3.0.1

It is certainly recognizable by MacOS and is currently mounted. I can navigate its file system, but I currently do not have any other installed app that can play BluRay.

MC 26 has no problem with an audio CD.
I was able to rip the 2018 release of The Beatles (White Album) into MC.

I suspect that the BluRay player firmware is out-of-date and I've already checked and there is no update.

Which USB 3.0 Bluray player has worked for you on a Mac?

wer

• Citizen of the Universe

Unless you are trying to work with 4K UHD discs, the drive shouldn't matter.

Only very specific drives can rip 4K UHD on computers.  But for regular BluRay you should be fine.

JRiver cannot play BluRay discs directly without the assistance of other software components.

Try downloading and installing the MakeMKV software.  Google it.  It has an integration tab in the program that once installed, should allow JRiver to play from your existing Bluray drive.

jeraldej

• Recent member

@wer,

Thank you for that input. I saw in this forum another post regarding the need for a 3rd party component, but was for MC 12 and 14. When I read the notes regarding MC 26, there is no mention of this requirement, so I thought that it was no longer necessary.

Thank you for the tip regarding MakeMKV!

blgentry

MC for Mac can NOT play any kind of video disc.  No DVDs, no BluRays, no 4k BluRay.  Nothing.  Doesn't matter if they are unprotected or encrypted.  MC for Mac does not play (or rip) any video discs.

Installing MakeMKV will not change that.  However, MakeMKV *will* allow you to rip DVDs and BluRays into unprotected MKV files.  MC for Mac can play unprotected MKV files just fine.  I do it all the time.

Brian.

wer

MC for Mac can NOT play any kind of video disc.  No DVDs, no BluRays, no 4k BluRay.  Nothing.  Doesn't matter if they are unprotected or encrypted.  MC for Mac does not play (or rip) any video discs.

Ah, thanks Brian.  I'd forgotten the Mac version was missing the direct disc playback.  As you said it can still play the rips though.

jeraldej

• Recent member

That's good info!
I installed MakeMKV on my Mac, but it will not allow me to add MC in its Options > Integration tab.
I had already begun ripping the BluRay to disk.

Thank you, all
Pages: [1]   Go Up