INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clip protection - Internal volume settings  (Read 378 times)

Wull

• World Citizen
Clip protection - Internal volume settings
« on: April 26, 2020, 02:54:53 am »

First time in a long time I noticed clip protection engaged (I was watching the new Star wars film. First happened around 5 mins 30 seconds into the film). I found adjusting the internal volume to 90% maximum avoided this. Is it better to leave this at 100% and adjust the Internal volume reference level to 90%. Or set both to 90% or?

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Clip protection - Internal volume settings
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 04:04:51 am »

I've found it's best to leave volume at 90% (-5dB) to allow headroom for intersample peaks and for any equalizer adjustments you might have in DSP Studio.

Unfortunately, there's no good way to find out if clip protection has engaged when you're watching a movie full screen or in Theater View.  You may hear the sound suddenly alter as dynamics get muffled; and when that happens, normal dialog levels will be quieter than before.  But the only way to know for sure is to exit fullscreen and look at audio path.

Unfortunately this is very cumbersome when in Theater View and it disrupts your movie.

It would be really nice if there was some small visual indication during video playback that Clip Protection has engaged, don't you think?

Wull

• World Citizen
Re: Clip protection - Internal volume settings
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 04:48:12 am »

Thanks wer. Just been reading that the volume reference is used for calibration :https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume

Yes I agree, some sought of clip protection visual would really help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up