INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver DLNA Server to LG OLED TV Example  (Read 1335 times)

henkeli

• Recent member
JRiver DLNA Server to LG OLED TV Example
« on: April 29, 2020, 04:34:18 pm »

Sharing part of my setup to show how it's working.
Meets my needs. Not perfect but also not complicated at all. Hits minimum requirements for remote viewing of MC Library files.
My HTPC is primarily for my theater room.
But it's nice to be able to stream those files to other parts of the house, including the outdoor TV.

I use the Generic DLNA server setup on my HTPC. It is wired for GigE.
However, the LG OLED's of the last few years only come equipped with Fast Ethernet speeds.
It's actually OK though, as you can see the video rates from LG below:

Full HD video
        H.264 1920 × 1080@60P BP/MP/HP@L4.2 40 Mbps
   HEVC 1920 × 1080@60P MP@L4.1, Main10 Profile@L4.1 40 Mbps
ULTRA HD video
   (ULTRA HD model only)   
   H.264 4096 × 2160@60P BP/MP/HP@L5.1 60 Mbps
   HEVC 4096 × 2160@60P MP@L5.1, Main10 Profile@L5.1 60 Mbps
Dolby Vision video
   (ULTRA HD model only that supports Dolby Vision)
   HEVC 3840 × 2160@60P MP@L5.1, Main10 Profile@L5.1 50 Mbps

Dolby Vision does not work with MKV files. No biggie for me. HDR is still recognized and looks good enough.
Because I don't use a separate audio system with my TV's, I don't have to worry about the extra overhead of the highest quality audio streams.
Atmos/THD is output as Dolby and DTS X/MA is output as DTS.
LG support below:

MKV Files
   Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, AAC, PCM, DTS, MPEG-1 Layer I, II, MPEG-1 Layer III (MP3)

I have a theater room with a 7.2 ch audio system for the immersive experience.
For my living room or outdoor room, the TV speakers are good enough.
My OLED comes equipped with OK speakers for what they are. Again, minimum requirements are met here.

The one gotcha is the subtitle support of the LG player.
PGS streams inside MKV files don't show up at all.
No worries, just download the SRT files into the movie folder.
The LG player allows changes to size/position/color.
I only really care about "forced" subs anyway, so I seek out only those SRT's for the movies that have them.
LG support for MKV subs:

A video file and its subtitle file must be located in the same folder. For subtitles to be displayed properly, make sure that the video file and the subtitle file have the same name.

By changing the User view to one I created called "Kids" I can assign only the G and PG rated movies to that user.
When the TV brings up the file list, only those movies are shown and can be played.
I switch back to the Admin user to display all files again.

You can toggle between resume/forget progress for file playback.
It is a bit annoying to not be able to use chapter skip or even FF/RW with any ease.
But typically I start a movie and watch it without skipping around.
There are times when I need to RW just a bit and that is supported just fine. Minimum requirements met.

Movie cover art is shown in the file list on the TV. Nice touch there.

With LG WebOS native apps, plus the JR DLNA server up and running, I only had to make some Cat6 cables up and wire up the TV's. No additional players or boxes and HDMI cables.
I find this a super clean and functional setup.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver DLNA Server to LG OLED TV Example
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 05:10:08 pm »

When I first saw this thread, I had a feeling of dread because "Oh no, here's someone else wanting to get this to work".

But you provided good information, for the people determined to use DLNA to their TV.

Having had extensive experience with this, I try to dissuade people from it, and run DLNA to the TV only as an absolute last resort.

Trying to get DLNA movie playback to one's LG to work well is the cause of a lot of suffering.

You had it a bit easier because as you said, you weren't trying to preserve the high quality audio streams, and also it didn't seem to bother you to have to deal with the external subtitles issue.  I don't see anything in your notes about VC1 movies.  Are you transcoding everything, or are you lucky enough not to have any VC1 movies? At least some LG models have problems with VC1.

henkeli

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 11:06:26 pm »

I don't see anything in your notes about VC1 movies.  Are you transcoding everything, or are you lucky enough not to have any VC1 movies? At least some LG models have problems with VC1.

I tried a couple of movies in my library that are encoded with VC-1:
The Matrix (Bluray 1080p)
The American (Bluray 1080p)
Both played perfectly fine. They appear as WMV on the LG player.
So, at least my model OLED65C7P supports VC-1

It's a perfect setup for my needs.

Oh, also - I can use my LG Magic Remote to "grab" the progress bar and pull it to any point in time in the movie during playback.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 11:11:04 pm »

Good for you.  You should post a screenshot of your DLNA server config, from Options->Media Network->Add or Configure DLNA Servers.  Show the regular part of that dialog as well as the part that expands when you click advanced. (You can drag the edges of the dialog to get it all to show without scrolling.) That will help people.
Pages: [1]   Go Up