INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: Could someone explain the acronyms and jargon for us mortals?  (Read 546 times)

onlywhenilarf

Hi there all,

I always suspect that I'm missing something when reading the JRiver blurb about Media Center.  There are a ton of acronyms and jargon, and it feels like there's an assumption that all readers are audio buffs.

It would be a fantastic service to us mere mortals if someone could start, say, a glossary or something to introduce to the rest of us some of the features that might be awesome if we only knew!  Oh, and do please, explain it like we're eight-year-olds!

Thanks in advance!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Just search for what you're interested in.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,124361.0.html

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

I often get into trouble talking to adults like they are eight-year-olds!

Seriously, as you say there are a ton of acronyms. If I started writing a book of them it may be a year before I get to the ones you are interested in. Plus, it has already been done. MC doesn't use many JRiver specific terms. For those, ask on the forum when you need to.

For general acronyms, start in Wikipedia, and if that doesn't give you an answer, Google the term and see what pops up. Often Google will give the definition at the top of the list.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wer

All fields of endeavor are littered with jargon.  Be it medicine, technology, automotive, engineering, music, publishing, television, even retail and selling groceries.

If you want to be proficient and move freely in a particular arena, you must learn the jargon, at least to a point.  That's a fact of life.  Using google, even if just to type "what does driver mean" is good advice.

Sometimes you have to say to an eight-year-old "Some things are complicated Timmy.  You'll understand better when you're older."
Pages: [1]   Go Up