INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Startup on Windows failed - [solved]  (Read 1067 times)

The Big Labinski

• Galactic Citizen
  • Wake up and slow down
Startup on Windows failed - [solved]
« on: May 01, 2020, 11:08:11 am »

Hi folks, since a few builds of MC26 the automatic start up at Windows is not working anymore.
Checked in MC and in the Windows task manager if everything is set up in the correct way. And it is.
Any ideas how I could solve this out?
TC
Stefan
Wake up and slow down 😴

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Startup on Windows failed
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 08:54:32 pm »

move it to your windows start up folder....

just a thought
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 01:30:20 am »

Windows startup items are now managed on the "Startup" tab of "Task Manager". It is possible to Disable items in there, so if MC is set to start with Windows, but that item is Disabled, it still won't start.

Check Task Manager.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

The Big Labinski

• Galactic Citizen
  • Wake up and slow down
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 08:12:55 am »

Dear OHM and Roderick, thanks for your replies and your ideas. I checked already them.
It is important for me to get the automatic start from MC and Server. This is very useful with the automatic shut down and start from Windows.
Please find enclosed the pictures from my actual settings. (sorry in German).
tc
Stefan
Wake up and slow down 😴

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 08:26:51 am »

Did you try cycling the setting?

Set in MC to do nothing on startup.
Reboot.
Set in MC to start with server on startup.
Reboot...

Does it work now?

The Big Labinski

• Galactic Citizen
  • Wake up and slow down
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 08:33:08 am »

Thanks Marco, yes I already did it.
I put also a symlink in "C:\Users\Stefan\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" Even this will not start MC.
TC
Stefan
Wake up and slow down 😴

The Big Labinski

• Galactic Citizen
  • Wake up and slow down
Re: Startup on Windows failed - 50% solved
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 09:41:37 am »

I got MC now running on Windows start up. But with a funny behavior.
The link in the autostart folder to "Media Center26.exe" was not able to start MC.
A link in the same autstart folder to "MC26.exe" brings MC alive at Windows start up.
What a funny behavior.
But nevertheless this is not it as it should be.
I would be happy to get a 100% solution.
Stefan
Wake up and slow down 😴

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 02:47:19 pm »

The link in the autostart folder to "Media Center26.exe" was not able to start MC.
Probably just a typo and therefore irrelevant but the link should be to Media Center 26.exe
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 08:52:35 pm »

Okay, I've looked enough, so I'm just going to show my ignorance.

Stefan, that first image in your post above shows a list of applications with the heading "Autostart". That doesn't look like standard Windows 10 to me. It looks like some add-in to control delayed start of applications in Windows. I do vaguely remember seeing a screen like that at some time, but can't find it now. Norton used to provide similar functionality in their products in the past.

So if that is standard Windows 10 functionality, how do you access that screen.?

If it isn't standard Windows 10 functionality and is a third party add-in, maybe it is interfering with the startup of MC. Specifically, with "Media Center 26.exe" and not "MC26.exe", since that wasn't in any startup settings previously.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 08:59:23 pm »

Settings - Apps - Startup

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 10:04:23 pm »

Doh, I was looking for "Autostart", but in the English version of Windows 10, it just says "Startup" and "Startup Apps".  ::)

Okay, I'm going to say it: Security Software.

Malwarebytes has been causing issues lately, with recent versions. Maybe it is blocking startup using "Media Center 26.exe", but not blocking "MC26.exe".

Otherwise, I would remove all startup settings for MC including shortcuts in the startup folder, symlinks, MC settings, and anything else going on, reboot the PC and then look for any startup stuff for MC in the Registry, and clear it out if you find any. Then reboot and set MC to start again in its settings.

It has to be a problem external to MC, if the normal MC26 shortcut starts MC correctly when run manually.

The Big Labinski

• Galactic Citizen
  • Wake up and slow down
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 08:10:49 am »

I found now where MC put the start up command in the Windows registry.
It's under: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Registry.jpg shoes with MC Autostart - created by MC and which one is not working
Registry2.jpg shoes with No autostart
Restrity3.jpg shoes my modification of this registry key - changed to "MC26.exe" - and this is working.

I was also able to start MC with a task created in the Windows task planer. But here works the link to "Media Center 26.exe".

This all a bit confusing for me. Is there a problem to start MC with "MC26.exe"

Many thanks for your ideas and help in advance.
tc
st

Wake up and slow down 😴

The Big Labinski

• Galactic Citizen
  • Wake up and slow down
Re: Startup on Windows failed - [solved]
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 10:40:50 am »

Many thanks to everybody - I found the problem and therefore the solution.
I installed MC25 again and this version starts together with Windows as it should be.
Now I was looking what is different between MC25 and MC26.
The difference was that MC26 was set to start with administration rights. When I removed the administration rights from "Media Center 26.exe" it starts with windows as it should be. Don't know where MC26 got this administration rights.
tc

Stefan
Wake up and slow down 😴

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Startup on Windows failed - [solved]
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 07:35:48 pm »

Wow. That is a strange situation.

Thanks for sharing the solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up