INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I get my (digital) TV tuners to initialize?  (Read 1380 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
How do I get my (digital) TV tuners to initialize?
« on: May 04, 2020, 08:42:21 am »

I noticed a couple of TV recordings were missed. The TV logs say no "idle" tuner is available. Looking at the Tuner status, it says my digital tuners are "initializing". The analog tuners are in "idle" mode.

In Windows 10 Device manager, it shows my Tuners are functioning properly. I have no software installed (from TV Tuner manufacturer) on the computer for these tuners.

It has been working fine until now. Not sure what is going on. Maybe a recent Win10 update broke this. I'm on build 1909 (the latest). Reboot did not help.

How do I resolve this issue?

CountryBumkin

Re: How do I get my (digital) TV tuners to initialize?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 10:19:43 am »

I was too impatient to wait for someone to respond, so I re-ran the TV setup. Now it's working again.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 09:09:36 pm »

Next time when this happens, you can just restart MC.

Which version of MC are you running?  This issue was seen in version 25.  There was a bug that was fixed late 25 or early 26.  It happened when a tuner was used for OTA EPG scanning.  Are you using OTA EPG?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 10:31:36 am »

It happened again last night.

I use mc2xml (subscription) for station guide programming.

I'm on version 25.0.114

You mention here https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,124812.msg864254.html#msg864254 that Windows10 updates broke something with the TV stuff. Do I need to go to ver 26 to fix this - or was that post I linked to a different problem?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 01:18:57 pm »

The thread you linked are for a different problem, but my statement about Windows 10 breaking TV functionality may apply to you.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 07:06:04 am »

Looking back through the TV Logs. I see that my last successful recording was on March 13th.

Just before the first failure the Win10 update "Cumulative Update 1903 (KB4540673 and KB4551762) were installed. After that no TV shows are getting recorded. The EPG data is successfully uploading.

After "restarting" Media Center the digital Tuners show as "idle" and then I can watch live TV, and can record TV shows. I am now manually recording a TV Show (as a test). I'm not sure why last night's recording failed. The Tuners were in "idle" status when I checked before I went to bed.

I'm on Win10 x64 1906 now (the latest update) so I cant easily go back to the pre-March Win10 installation.

So is there anything that can be done - except to buy another version of Media Center?

I have two separate Tuners so this problem is likely not a hardware failure.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 11:57:57 am »

25.0.55 (6/17/2019)

1. Fixed: When a TV tuner returned an error on playback start up, the tuner was left in "Initializing" state and was no longer available until MC restarted.

That was supposed to be fixed.  However, it is more important for you to find out why your tuners keep having trouble.  You can turn on logging and send me a log when it happens again. Upgrading to 26 should give you better experience in TV in general, but I am not sure about this particular one.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 02:04:02 pm »

I have saved a log - but before I bother you with it, I want to try something.
When I looked at the TV Logs it said it was scheduled to record on channel 43.5 (I have it setup to record by "Series name" on any channel). The log shows it "intializing" and shows the channel 43.5. I'm not familiar with this channel but I get guide info on it.

But when I try to view 43.5 I cant get a signal lock. I have now made 43.5 a Hidden Channel, so the next recording will be on a tv channel I know for certain I receive. Perhaps I should do a channel re-scan, but first I'll see what happens when I schedule a recording on a channel I know works.
The test will be tonight.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 06:40:59 am »

No go. Did not record any shows last night. I made sure the Tuners where in Idle and the TV Channels had good signal strength before I went to bed. It looks like the problem starts when the recording is scheduled/trying to start.
The log shows the Tuners did not initialize (or are stuck in Initializing mode).

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 08:45:15 am »

Can you email me the log?  I will try to check if this is something fixed for 26.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 10:00:50 am »

I e-mailed the Log to "Yaobing@JRiver dot com". If that is not your e-mail address, let me know.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 07:32:10 pm »

Received it.  Thanks.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 09:59:44 am »

I see in the logs that a recording was attempted and no tuner was found to do the recording.  Unfortunately I do not see how the tuners got into the "initializing" state.

There are also log entries that show a tuner running and doing updating.  Maybe that is an indication of the tuner being stuck too.  It appears to be something I have fixed, but I can not figure out from the MC history when the fix was done.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 10:47:06 am »

I upgrade to MC26. Hopefully that will correct the issue - and I'll be good for another year.
I'll report back after the next scheduled recording.
Pages: [1]   Go Up