INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo stops playing video files after about 2 minutes on Chromcast  (Read 925 times)

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen

Hello,

I just installed MC 26 on a brand new system and hoped it had solved the issue I had in MC 23. If I play a MKV file through Gizmo on my phone to a Chromecast it stops after about 2 minutes. All I can find on the forum is a few people with the same issue. But I can't find a solution to make it work. My files are all on a DiskStation. I can play it on a Minix mini PC (wireless) on a Media Center 23 as a Library Server  (didn't update yet). I used two different phones Samsung S7 and Samsung S9. Both on two different Chromecasts. (Kitchen and Bedroom) Stops around 1:30 minutes. Tried quality from low to high, doesn't make a difference.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, Theo

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Gizmo stops playing video files after about 2 minutes on Chromcast
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 06:40:26 pm »

If I play a MKV file through Gizmo on my phone to a Chromecast it stops after about 2 minutes.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually 128 seconds. I suspect that the TCP connection times out, and the TCP Window closes.

But I don't really know what that means, or how to do anything about it. I know such connections sometimes need a regular "Keep Alive" signal to maintain the connection. Maybe there is a Keep Alive setting somewhere in the media path. MC does that automatically I think for DLNA connections. I'm not sure about a connection to Gizmo, or the next step to Chromecast.

I also don't use Chromecast as a general rule, so can't add much value there. But maybe some of the above helps with further Googling or searching here.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 09:23:13 pm »

I got Chromecast "working" from my Sony Xperia XZ Premium phone to my Sony KD-65X9300D Android TV just for fun. Both devices have Chromecast built-in.

That required the TV to be rebooted just to get started. Not encouraging.

Anyway, casting an MKV movie from Gizmo on the phone to the TV was extremely unreliable. I thought it was just stopping for others at the beginning of the movie, but it keeps happening through the movie even if you can restart it after it stops. I restarted by dragging the position slider a little. Pause and Play didn't restart it.

You can see what is going on in the "Services & Plug-ins > Media Network" function. I didn't try to solve the problems though. I did try with BubbleUPnP and saw the same issues, so it is probably a Chromecast or Android issue.

The good news is that screen mirroring from the phone to the TV worked fine, and the movie played without pause, after a very brief mini pause at the beginning. The phone turned its screen off, which is a setting in the phone, so didn't flatten the battery as fast,

So do your phone and TV support screen mirroring? If so, use that.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 01:35:15 am »

I got Chromecast "working" from my Sony Xperia XZ Premium phone to my Sony KD-65X9300D Android TV just for fun. Both devices have Chromecast built-in.

That required the TV to be rebooted just to get started. Not encouraging.

Anyway, casting an MKV movie from Gizmo on the phone to the TV was extremely unreliable. I thought it was just stopping for others at the beginning of the movie, but it keeps happening through the movie even if you can restart it after it stops. I restarted by dragging the position slider a little. Pause and Play didn't restart it.

You can see what is going on in the "Services & Plug-ins > Media Network" function. I didn't try to solve the problems though. I did try with BubbleUPnP and saw the same issues, so it is probably a Chromecast or Android issue.

The good news is that screen mirroring from the phone to the TV worked fine, and the movie played without pause, after a very brief mini pause at the beginning. The phone turned its screen off, which is a setting in the phone, so did flatten the battery as fast,

So do your phone and TV support screen mirroring? If so, use that.

I use a Minix PC in my kitchen. I could use that in the bedroom too. Only thing is that you need a small keyboard with mouse function. But it's reliable. I also use DS video app but that doesn't work with certain files that have eac3 in it. will have a look at the mirror thing. Thanks!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 08:32:55 pm »

Did you try Screen Mirroring?

I just played a movie for 46 minutes with no trouble, until I adjusted the volume on the TV using the volume control on the phone, at which time Screen Mirroring disconnected. I haven't tested if that is a consistent problem.

But while I left the phone alone it was fine. It fact, I even took a call in the middle of that 46 minutes, and Android handled that no problem.

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 02:58:48 am »

Did you try Screen Mirroring?

I just played a movie for 46 minutes with no trouble, until I adjusted the volume on the TV using the volume control on the phone, at which time Screen Mirroring disconnected. I haven't tested if that is a consistent problem.

But while I left the phone alone it was fine. It fact, I even took a call in the middle of that 46 minutes, and Android handled that no problem.

I bought a Pepper Jobs mini PC for the bedroom. Can use Media Center now as a Library Server. Either Gizmo or DS Video didn't stream well on the Google Chromecast. The remote that I bought with it is awesome. One side has alphabet and the other the usual stuff plus certain windows buttons. Can even learn commands from TV remote. So I'm fine now having a great setup. Cost a little but got much more in return.
Thanks for your input!
Pages: [1]   Go Up