INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ID3 Track numbers  (Read 1055 times)

traveler

• Recent member
  • Systems Engineer
ID3 Track numbers
« on: April 24, 2003, 12:30:54 pm »

Can someone tell me what I need to do to have track numbers placed in a files' ID3V2 tags? Whenever I rip a track from a cd the correct track number is stored in the Media Center database, but after downloading it to my Nomad Jukebox 3, the track numbers are way off.

Thanks

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: ID3 Track numbers
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 12:49:55 pm »

Do you know that the NJ3 handles ID3v2 tags? (it probably does). Do these files have ONLY v2 tags? A very new Sony mp3 player me mum has does not read v2 tags, only v1.1. Use another tag editor to verify the tags on a file as shown by MC.

10-27

traveler

• Recent member
  • Systems Engineer
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 01:08:32 pm »

xen-uno,

Yes, the NJB3 handles the ID3v2 tags. In order to play back a ripped cd in the proper order, I use Abander Tag Control to correct the track numbers. Once I do this, I download the files and they will play in the proper order.

Thanks

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2003, 09:13:06 pm »

I had this same problem with WMA tags. Good to know it's not just me. I tried using Abander to fix the problem, but found that it messed up other tags in the file (e.g. album named "The Better Life" got renamed to "the Better Life" even though I told Abander to skip Album tags and only update Track # tags). I'm considering buying Notmad Explorer (www.redchairsoftware.com) for transferring to my Zen. It's got an "advanced tag" mode that can read track numbers from the file names, but which doesn't modify the tags in the files on the PC at all. It sucks that MC doesn't handle this better, but I can't complain too much because there's about fifty-thousand other things that MC does a milllion times better than any other jukebox on the market.

Joshua

traveler

• Recent member
  • Systems Engineer
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2003, 08:00:53 am »

Loraan,

Actually, you're describing my problem exactly. I am talking about WMA tags, but I don't understand the difference between how WMA implements or "wraps" ID3 tags and the standard ID3 tag info. And no one I've asked has been able to explain it to my satisfaction/understanding. I've tried searching through Microsoft's knowledgebase to no avail.

So whether it's a WMA or ID3 tag issue, consider this: I also have DB Poweramp Music Converter (I bought the DB Poweramp before I bought Media Jukebox8; Now, whenever I have a problem ripping a track using Media Center, I try DB Poweramp). Anyway, when I rip using DB Poweramp, the track numbers are properly saved in the tag.

We are both trying to solve the same problem. And I have bought Redchair's Notmad and REALLY like it. I would highly recommend it to you. They are great people, and are second only to the development staff here. Once you see what you can do with playlists using notmad, you will never give it up.

Regarding your problem with "the/The" in Abander, I've run into that one and have gotten around it more or less: You have to go into options and (forgive me; I don't have the application running on the system I am using here) I'm pretty sure it's under "Gerneral", you will see a list of words and letters it considers to be always lowercase. By default, "the" is in there. Remove it. This will fix the problem with "the" in track names, but I still have the same problem in Album Title.

Hope this helps, and thanks for answering.

By the way, how do you like your Zen?
Pages: [1]   Go Up