INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nick Drake  (Read 1964 times)

larryrup

• World Citizen
Nick Drake
« on: May 11, 2020, 02:29:01 am »

I'm sure many are familiar with Nick. I'm sure many more are not.

My story of discovery of this artist, dates back a while.  I noticed references to him enough times that I was curious but the web was not around  my house yet (1992), or I just didn't Google him for what ever reason.   Can you believe...1992 ...to me does not sound like it was the dark ages, but I now "googled" web popularity in 1992, I see the web was unleashed on the world in 1991, so it is reasonable that I did not or could not google Nick Drake!

Vin Scelsa was playing a track from a new Album by Lucinda Williams (Sweet Old World), "Which Will".  He followed it with Nick's version of the same song.  Vin at that time was doing radio on Sunday nights.  Monday morning, it was off to J&R (those around in that era, and who were downtown in NY know the drill).  There was a fairly new release of a single CD sampler, promoting a Nick Drake Box Set. 

To this date all of the tracks get played regularly.  I figured this generous CD had to have ALL the good tracks.  Nick only released 3 albums before his death.  It took about another 10 years before I got the full box set.  They picked 14 tracks for the sampler, but  could have picked any of his 31 tracks from any album.

Nick's biggest exposure was on a popular Volkswagen commercial that featured "Pink Moon", a song and album that is a good starting point for anyone looking to explore. This one album is an album to be played in it's entirety.  It's mostly acoustic (he has a very good unique finger pick),  soft vocal, sometimes horns and a bit of light jazz.  If the name sticks in your head a bit, you will see references to him still to this date, nearly 45 years after the release of Pink Moon.  The songs have held up remarkably well.  The legend say's Nick's death was contributed to his depression from his lack of commercial success.  Just one of his albums (post his death) has sold 5x's the sales of his three albums combined during his life.  I've been to a tribute concert at St Ann's in Brooklyn Heights, and have at least two tribute CDs.

A quick look, and I found this primer on Nick.  If it sounds like it might fit in with your tastes...  Most of us have the time!  Read his Wiki. If nothing else, it's like a lecture in a course on Popular Music in the late 60's/early 70's.  If there is any interest, I can put up a mix playlist of originals and covers on Cloudplay.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/11/how-the-internet-and-volkswagen-made-a-dead-folksinger-into-a-star/383145/

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Nick Drake
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 05:53:53 am »

Hi Larry, 
Thanks for posting that.   I'd never heard of him, but the music is great.  Please upload a playlist.

I found this on Youtube:

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 01:32:05 pm »

Nick Drake revisited is uploading.  I'm not sure I'm happy with sequencing, but I can tinker later.  I'm not sure the covers work as well as I thought, but for now they are sprinkled in.  I did not mark my files and don't know if these are from the original mastered tapes, or the re-mastered ones released later.  They are certainly not from my original CD's.  Since most are hi-res, I assume they are the remastered versions.  They are crystal clear.  Well produced and well recorded.  If you have a decent pair of headphones, they would be well used here.

Makes exceptional lazy Sunday, or rainy day playing.  Of course it's Sunny and 70 degrees  :o

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 06:15:48 pm »

Listening now. Thanks. Its great.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 10:19:46 pm »

Also listening now. My PC speakers aren't doing him justice though.

Thanks Larry.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 01:57:06 am »

Nick Drake was a brilliant fingerstyle guitarist and songwriter, criminally overlooked while he was alive but has a wide audience now due in part to that Volkswagen commercial but also to some high profile followers like Paul Weller and (yes) Brad Pitt. His use of phrasing, melody, unique tunings combined with a hauntingly understated voice makes for some of the most beautiful folk music of the 70's.

There is a documentary called "A Skin Too Few" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BagOmL_Sv4  that serves as a great intro but if you are a music fan just grab his 3 albums. They are always on high rotation on MC at my place and I'm forever on the lookout for similar artists - Alexi Murdoch, Iron and Wine to name a couple - since sadly there'll be nothing more from Nick. 

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 11:55:01 am »

I enjoyed this thread quite a bit.  Nick Drake is a long time favorite of mine.  All the albums are good, but "Five Leaves Left" is one of my "desert island albums."   I wake up singing "Way to Blue" a few times a year and always reach right for the album.

I found him through a friend, but most of the people I met who know him heard him on the "Garden State" soundtrack for the first time, so that's another pop culture point of entry (aside from the VW commercial).

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 12:01:29 pm »

He was also featured on the Garden State soundtrack, which was very popular among college kids in the 2000's. Saturday Sun is a great driving song. Also a fan of Hazey Jane I and Time of No Reply in addition to his biggest hits (Way To Blle, etc). He's in the same vanguard of haunted folk singers like Elliott Smith.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 06:31:42 pm »

Also the mid 80's hit by The Dream Academy, "Life in a Northern Town" was a tribute to Nick Drake and the song's success resulted in some interest back then.

My first exposure was the Way To Blue compilation and the song "Northern Sky" was what really hooked me to his music - even played it at our wedding. It's an extraordinary track and really showcases Drake's gift for melody.  Others like "Fly" also off Bryter Later and "Which Will" and "Place to Be" off Pink Moon make me stop and listen every time. A wonderful talent.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 01:33:59 am »

Nick Drake also pops up on Radio Paradise Mellow.

lipman

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 08:34:57 am »

I'm a big fan of Nick Drake, he's a great talent. Happy to see that there are people who likes him as well in the forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up