INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Grouping  (Read 549 times)

invisiblekid

Album Grouping
« on: May 11, 2020, 07:59:16 am »

Hey everyone.

New to JRiver and slowly finding my way around it all, there's rather a lot to it in regard sound settings etc (I have a any number of MP3's, HiRes and SACD's and wanting to make sure they playback at the right settings).

I was wondering if it were possible to group albums together. I have a huge number of Metallica albums and would like to group the live albums I have to the studio album, ie any live concerts for say Kill 'em All tours to the studio album of Kill 'em All?

Many thanks for you help with this

PS or is it easier to create a playlist? Not that I know how to do that yet either!

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Album Grouping
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 01:08:27 pm »

There are a couple of ways to do what you want... But a Playlist isn't the solution, because playlists display individual files, not Albums.

But as I said, there are a couple of ways.  The first, very simplistic way, it to add Live Albums vs Studio Albums to different Genres, and then use your Genre view to display them. You could also create a Genre view that only displays Metallica albums.

That's not a great method, as it misuses what Genre is for; your Metallica albums are all the same genre of music after all.

The proper solution is very flexible and does exactly what you want, but as a new user implementing it might be beyond you.  It involves creating a customized view along with three new database fields, and using the MC Expression Language.  This would allow you to integrate the album grouping you want into any of your existing views.

I don't have time to do a full step-by-step guide to implementing this, but I described it some time back in this thread: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=122063.0
The information you need to do it is laid out in considerable detail there. Screenshots and everything. The thread is talking about an issue in the Windows version, but that is irrelevant.

However, there is still a limitation in MC that makes use of this in standard view a bit clunky, and you have to click an extra time to view your groups when it should be unnecessary.  If you get this implemented and would like to see that limitation removed so it works better, please post in this thread:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,124991.msg865446.html#msg865446

In the meantime, you could give the solution I outlined in the first thread a try.  If you get stuck, I or someone else might be able to help you here.

invisiblekid

Re: Album Grouping
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 07:46:35 pm »

Thanks will have a go at some point.

Having other issues atm with it. It's being very flaky at playing SACD ISO's. Show it's playing, but not getting any sound or very, very quiet. try again another time and it plays. any other formats and it's fine. This is ver.25 mind. Tried trial (before paying upgrade) and it's no different.
Pages: [1]   Go Up