INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does any reasonable priced sound cards have three addressable channels or more?  (Read 848 times)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar

I have been using kX Drivers to run SB Audigy cards with three channels per card, and that has worked perfectly, until now. On my latest build, an Xeon Silver/Supermicro with Server 2019 the computer crashes after from a few minutes to a few hours if I have more than four channels of kX Drivers active while playing. it's not Server 2019, because I used that on my previous server too (which had a breakdown in either the CPU or the mobo), and I've been using the kX drivers with different types of Audigy for around 15 years. So it's a combo of the chipset, the OS and the drivers somewhere. I get the same with one Foobar instance per sound card channel and MC, so it's  not in the MC playback either.  I can use one full card and one channel from a second, or two channels on each of two cards. Which means that with those two Audiogy RX and one Audigy Rx on Creative drivers, which gives me two channels (optical SPDIF and analogue) I have six channels. But I need three more analogue channels, and it would be nice if there was a card where the channel assignment worked. It doesn't on the Audigy Rx with regular drivers or the Asus Xonar DX, which I have tried. So can somebody please tell me a card that is adressable? I know there are pro solutions that cost $500 and more that does, but I would like to get my channels a bit cheaper than that. ;)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

How many analogue channels do you actually need?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar

Preferably 12, but I can make do with 9. I am closer with ASIO via ASIO4ALL on kX, ASIO directly on regular Audigy driver, one direct sound on kX and ASIO on an Asus Xonar DX with alternative drivers.

Edit: I was wrong about the Xonar DX, that only took one zone Asio, but I got two zones out of it by using the analogue and SPDIF. And then three analogue ASIO zones from the Creative Audigy with regular drivers plus one SPDIF. And finally three Direct Sound analogue zones from the kX Driver running Audigy Rx. So I'm up to nine now, and I will run a 24 hour playback test on that to make sure it all works without crashing. Then I may add two more Audigy Rx with kX drivers and use them for zones 10 and 11, perhaps even try SPDIF on those. Anyway, seems like I will manage.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system
Pages: [1]   Go Up