INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does MC9 HATE my short mp3s?  (Read 1890 times)

xsfo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Why does MC9 HATE my short mp3s?
« on: April 21, 2003, 08:02:58 pm »

I have a bunch of short audio clips from TV, movies etc. They help break up the onslaught of music. Some of them are short, less than 4 seconds long. MC9 seems to choke on these. It will start to play the clip and instead of finishing and moving on to the next sound/song in my playlist, MC9 will just sit there "buffering". I get out of this mode by fast forwarding to the next song.

Also, the short mp3s are not marked as played even if they have successfully played completely and moved to the next song in the playlist.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Why does MC9 HATE my short mp3s?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 08:54:48 pm »

I've noticed the same thing (again, with short low quality MP3 files from TV themes).  I've noticed it on short WAVs too.  I thought perhaps the files were corrupt or something but MusicMatch and WMP 9 don't have any problems with them.

crash_buka

• Recent member
  • Yesterday's Gone
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 09:36:46 pm »

When you "Import Media..." there is a check-box that says something like "Ignore short files (under 5 seconds)" -- Try unchecking that...

xsfo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 10:06:07 pm »

When you "Import Media..." there is a check-box that says something like "Ignore short files (under 5 seconds)" -- Try unchecking that...

Err, no I think you're missing the point. The mp3 files have been imported fine. The files are NOT corrupted. It's the playback behavior of MC9 that's weird.

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 12:59:06 am »

Do you have any special transition effect aplied to playback?

JeffB

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 04:57:37 am »

If you have cross fade enabled, MC maybe choking on trying to cross fade three clips at once.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2003, 07:09:27 am »

About the choking, I'm not sure.  We'll play around.

As an aside, should MC disable cross-fading, etc. for really short files?  Would you ever want little sound effects to be cross-faded?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

xsfo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2003, 09:25:15 am »

I don't think cross fading is on. Even if cross-fading were on, I would hope that it would be smart enough to deal with the situation. In other words it should respond accordingly if the next song were less than 5 seconds long. The settings for my playback are:
Between Tracks: Standard
Gap: 0.5 s
Seeking: Standard
Stop: Fadeout (normal)

The samples I'm having trouble with are 128k or 160k mp3s about 5 seconds long or shorter. Grab some short movie and tv samples off the internet to try this out.

dylanstan

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love MJ V9! At last cover view! Big Kiss!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2003, 03:58:56 pm »

I like punk music and i've several "songs" ;D shorter than 10 seconds. When i play this kind of stuff i don't use crossfade. Well, this songs dont count in the number of plays, although it played them well. I've checked it right now, and i've played all my songs shorter than 15 seconds, they're 21 but only 8 "songs", the other are intros and/or skips., and all with 0 in number of plays. In my case i don't think that this is an important issue, but would be nice give the opportunity to some of these songs to achieve the top hits  ::)
The problem is with the songs with 10 seconds or less, although from the 4 songs i've of 11 seconds, curiously it count on 2 of them, that are intros, and don't count in the other 2, that are "songs"  ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2003, 11:58:29 am »

Thanks for the help.  The stalling out problem will be fixed next build.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

xsfo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2003, 04:19:57 pm »

So far so good with the .160 build. Thanks!

However, the Last Played attribute doesn't seem to get updated on some of the short mp3s that used to choke MC9. Any ideas why this may be?
Pages: [1]   Go Up