INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Central (global) directory for smartlists applicable to different libraries?  (Read 763 times)

vrl

• Junior Woodchuck

After having cleaned up my "Jazz library with the help self created smartlists, I want to apply theses to my "Rock and Pop" Collection (others to follow).
Switching libraries away from "Jazz" threw me back onto the standard set supplied by default.
How can I make certain smartlists "global", i.e. to behave like the default set?

vrl

• Junior Woodchuck

I'm aware of the "Import/Export" feature, however I'd need to enter the title of the smartlist again, and I'd have to import each smartlist separately...
I am hoping for a central location that also stores the tiles and any additional notes....

HaWi

• Citizen of the Universe

Are you sure you want to keep separate libraries for different genres? I had two libraries for Classical and Non-Classical for a while but once I figured out how to create different Views, I found it much easier to maintain just one library for all my music. I especially like the Pane Views. They give me all the flexibility I need.
cheers,
Hans
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

vrl

• Junior Woodchuck

Thanks, Hans, good idea.
I have not considered views until now.
Unfortunately about 20% of my files don't have a "genre" tag but I could add some dummy to indicate what library they are in.
I'll try it out.

(Still, I'd like to know whether there is such a thing like a global directory for smartlists...)

HaWi

In Standard View, in the left-most frame there is a Group called Smartlists. It shows all the Smart Playlists (many of the auto-generated by MC). I would also highly recommend to manually fill the Genre tag for your music. It is a lot of work but it is worth it. If you have different libraries for each genre it is as easy as loading a library, selecting all tracks and in Tag editor fill the genre tag for all of them simultaneously.
cheers,
Hans
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

wer

(Still, I'd like to know whether there is such a thing like a global directory for smartlists...)

No, there is not.

Many people think they need separate libraries. In almost all cases, it's a bad idea, predicated by their lack of understanding of views.

You need to use views.  If you want to pretend you have separate libraries, then instead of corrupting the Genre field, you could create a field called "FakeLibrary" and assign every file in your real library a value in the FakeLibrary field according to which fake library you want them to be in.

Then simply modify all your views to restrict to a particular FakeLibrary value.

Once you do this, one possible FakeLibrary value might be "Global" and you could configure anything tagged thusly to appear in all your views.

Simulating separate libraries in this way is unnecessary, but it makes some people feel better.

You cannot tag playlists/smartlists, but you can place them in playlist groups.  Playlists/Smartlists are tied to a library, but they are "global" within that library.

You are only having this problem because you made the mistake of using separate libraries for different types of music.  If you used views to segregate your music, you would have noticed your playlists were already "global" and you wouldn't be here now asking this question.

vrl

• Junior Woodchuck

Thanks a lot for the elaborate answers Hans and wer, and the hint to create tags. I can see the advantage.

So views it is!

Never looked into this feature.... will do; rather than optimizing my other 3 libraries there then will be only one.

Take care
Volker
Pages: [1]   Go Up