INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Subclips - Particles  (Read 1031 times)

stiv32

• World Citizen
Video Subclips - Particles
« on: November 13, 2019, 03:06:02 am »

Here is a gap in the software market

Video SubClip Library

Develop a searchable library of Video Subclips. I realized this gap because I needed to be able to create custom categories for my subclips and be able to search based on this categorization and create playlists of subclips that can be played in custom or random order. Subclips are marked areas in different videos that have been characterized (named and categorized) by me. So, while playing the file I might create a few areas/subclips. The software that exists  (i.e. Kyno and others) can do the above but you can only search for subclips in relation to a specific file each time.

I just realized that MediaCenter has already most of these features. We just need a more convenient way to mark the beginning and end of each subclip (check relevant software), name it and categorize it using custom library fields.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Video Subclips
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 06:50:23 am »

Here is a gap in the software market

Video SubClip Library

Develop a searchable library of Video Subclips. I realized this gap because I needed to be able to create custom categories for my subclips and be able to search based on this categorization and create playlists of subclips that can be played in custom or random order. Subclips are marked areas in different videos that have been characterized (named and categorized) by me. So, while playing the file I might create a few areas/subclips. The software that exists  (i.e. Kyno and others) can do the above but you can only search for subclips in relation to a specific file each time.

I just realized that MediaCenter has already most of these features. We just need a more convenient way to mark the beginning and end of each subclip (check relevant software), name it and categorize it using custom library fields.
Take a look at the topic on Particles in our wiki.

stiv32

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 03:11:50 pm »

Take a look at the topic on Particles in our wiki.

I may move this to a new thread.

So, we are closer than I thought!

We just need an "advanced toolbar" with three buttons for Particles "Start", "End", "Add", so that we can do it while playing the file. The "Add" could pop up a window asking for a name and optional Library fields (user-customized).

I will test them this weekend, but I guess the Particles can already be added to playlists and played in random order (different particles from different files), right?

skarsol

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 08:30:19 am »

Be aware that particle info doesn't get written out to the sidecar files (last I checked), so if you ever need to reimport your media files any particle work you've done would be lost. (I think a database backup would save it though) This has bitten a few of us in the butt (enough so that I gave up on particles.)

I'd be interested in hearing what your testing turns up as I've not tried it in a few versions.

stiv32

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 10:49:00 am »

Hi,

I just worked a bit with particles.

I love that they can be added in a playlist, they are searchable, and they can be played consequently without delay.

Things to improve
 - As I mentioned earlier, we need an "advanced toolbar for Particles" on the Display (and for songs under the control button area I guess) with the following buttons  "Start", "End", "(re)name, "Add", "Keywords"(customizable field), and maybe -+ for speed; so that we can do it while playing the file. By pressing "Add" the particle can be added to library, or/and to a "new particles" playlist).
 - The stacks list does not appear if I right click a file in the playing now playlist
 - Ability to export them together with their playlist to portable devices/
 - Ability to back them up, or/and even add this information to the original file.

The first point can be done in JRiver already, so I guess it won't be too much trouble to create the toolbar. Right now it takes too much time for each particle to be created, and writing down the beginning and end time of each one and adding them later it is a bit cumbersome.

Thank you very much for continuously improving JRiver and being truly customer-centered!

stiv32

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 08:02:19 am »

I was thinking about the particles toolbar... can it be like a floating playback toolbar with the additional buttons, instead of being integrated on the Display?

stiv32

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 06:14:12 am »

Be aware that particle info doesn't get written out to the sidecar files (last I checked), so if you ever need to reimport your media files any particle work you've done would be lost. (I think a database backup would save it though) This has bitten a few of us in the butt (enough so that I gave up on particles.)

I'd be interested in hearing what your testing turns up as I've not tried it in a few versions.

Skarsol, did you have any other problems with particles? Although right now it takes too much time to set them up, I haven't found any other problems. Also, how can I check if the particles-info is stored in the backup?

RD James

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 07:39:30 pm »

Yeah, this is what needs to be fixed first. I've lost my particles too many times to count, and don't bother with them at all any more.

stiv32

• World Citizen
Re: Video Subclips - Particles
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 03:26:56 pm »

Hi RD James,

how can I check whether this issue has been fixed? I mean how can I check if the particle info is saved to the sidecar files?

stiv32

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 02:33:34 pm »

Hi,

I just worked a bit with particles.

I love that they can be added in a playlist, they are searchable, and they can be played consequently without delay.

Things to improve
 - As I mentioned earlier, we need an "advanced toolbar for Particles" on the Display (and for songs under the control button area I guess) with the following buttons  "Start", "End", "(re)name, "Add", "Keywords"(customizable field), and maybe -+ for speed; so that we can do it while playing the file. By pressing "Add" the particle can be added to library, or/and to a "new particles" playlist).
 - The stacks list does not appear if I right click a file in the playing now playlist
 - Ability to export them together with their playlist to portable devices/
 - Ability to back them up, or/and even add this information to the original file.

The first point can be done in JRiver already, so I guess it won't be too much trouble to create the toolbar. Right now it takes too much time for each particle to be created, and writing down the beginning and end time of each one and adding them later it is a bit cumbersome.

Thank you very much for continuously improving JRiver and being truly customer-centered!

Could you please consider this feature?

I really need to create a library with a couple of thousands of particles and a floating playback toolbar with the additional buttons (to create the particles) would really save me huge amounts of time!

Thank you in advance

stiv32

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 10:24:09 am »

Are there any updates on particles?

Thanks

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 05:36:01 pm »

FYI - Have a look at Swag of Tools (2nd Post in particular) as it has a bunch of Particle Utilities including the ability to back then up to a "Chapters.TXT" file (and the ability to re-create the particles from these files).  To backup just highlight all the Particles you want for a particular Parent File then back them up in SoT.
JRiver CEO Elect

stiv32

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 11:13:41 am »

Thank you jmone for the reply. The particles now are backed up with the normal MC process. The problem though is that it is really time consuming to create just a few particles.

We need now an "advanced toolbar" with three buttons for Particles "Start", "End", "Add", so that we custom-split while playing the file. Moreover, an "Add" button could open pop up a window asking for a name and optional Library fields (user-customized).

Any ideas on this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up