INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the best way to manage large folder/file structures?  (Read 932 times)

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen

Hi,
Many of you have a large amount of files being video and or music in JRiver.

Is there a proper way to manage such large quantities of files regarding folder structure in Windows.
How many files are too many in one folder and how many folders with files are to many in one folder before JRiver starts to get slow.

//arcspin
Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: What is the best way to manage large folder/file structures?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 08:11:43 pm »

it doesn't really matter much.  browsing by folder structure in MC can be a bit slower, and of course if you have all your files in a view it will populate slower.  also a lot of expressions in a view will slow you down.

obviously you'll want some level of folder structure so they are usable in an environment outside of MC, but i find even with files spread across drives any slowdown is so minimal as to not matter - if you structure your views efficiently

wer

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 08:25:47 pm »

There is no one best way.

Learning how to optimally organize large amounts of data on a filesystem is something that comes with experience.  Different approaches have different advantages and disadvantages depending on circumstances.

People could tell you specific methods, but that would be what's best for them, not you.

Avoid putting thousands of files in one flat directory. Avoid putting things where they're difficult to find. Avoid putting large amounts of static data that never changes on your boot volume.  Avoid making your structure overly complicated or with too many branches or levels. Try to put things you're likely to eventually want to relocate together in a directory structure that makes them easy to move together.  Try to use a consistent syntax and structure so that it's easier to navigate programmatically with a batch file.

Stick to good general principles and you probably won't go too far wrong.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 04:39:31 am »

Blunt answer- Don't  :P

I'll never understand why people import files into an app with custom views and metadata and insist on organising the files on disk.

Stuff gets moved from my download folder onto the current media drive, imported and the folder structure ignored.
When this drive is full, another gets added and I import from this.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 05:15:36 am »

very subjective question.   i tend to go for simplicity:

Movies, Music, Pictures, Home Videos, TV Shows are the set of folders i use across each drive in my NAS.  each movie gets its own top level folder with all variants inside, each artist for music has their own folder with albums inside, each tv show has its own top level folder with seasons separated.   

more important in my opinion is the file naming convention you use which is also subjective.    i use a format that makes meta data lookup easy,  but also conveys enough information in the name to be easily understood what it is , e.g. adding some meta data to the filename itself.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 10:10:56 am »

Hi,
Many of you have a large amount of files being video and or music in JRiver.

Is there a proper way to manage such large quantities of files regarding folder structure in Windows.
How many files are too many in one folder and how many folders with files are to many in one folder before JRiver starts to get slow.

//arcspin

The answer is extremely dependent upon which definition of "Proper" you are using - If it's the one that a certain Fruit Merchant uses then you would have to Organize your Music an Video in accordance with "The Tax-Dodgers Standard"  ;D

A more correct answer is to organise them in a way that looks "sensible" to you; because, unlike a lot of software from "The Big Boys" MC is extremely flexible and usually very efficient. If and when bottlenecks do occur most of the time its usually the Operating System (having an argument with itself) and not MC that causes them.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Manfred

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 12:42:36 pm »

I have ~29 TB of media files. See attached picture of how I organized my filesystem( Disk 1 to Disk n are old disks and deposit in a different location):
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

darky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 04:23:54 am »

I have my music share on a different disks in my synology, seperated from movies.
Music
artist> album(year)

Series:
Series>season>episodes

Movies:
Moviename(date)

For movies and series I use TMM to rename and sort. After that JMC does the rest.
Music is tagged and mapped with m3tag..and the rest with JMC.

I am still thinking about more sorting options. But on the other hand..that is why we have JMC. Just drop it on a disk and JMC can sort it out.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 04:27:11 am »

I have my music share on a different disks in my synology, seperated fom movies.
Music
artist> album(year)

I put the (year) in front of the album thus keeping them in order of release. looks good in windows explorer
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

darky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 05:36:56 am »

I put the (year) in front of the album thus keeping them in order of release. looks good in windows explorer

Thank you. That is not a bad idea.

I have it ordered it in a JMC view.
Pages: [1]   Go Up