INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using iPad as a playback controller: trying to figure out server "relationships"  (Read 634 times)

dburna

• Recent member

I have MC25 and currently have a MacBook Pro as server/renderer and MacMini as a network storage (discs stored off the MacMini). Shortly, I will have a Matrix Element i streamer/DAC for my main system and have access to an iPad for playback. I am trying to figure out in general how JRiver works. In this configuration, I would have:

1. iPad to control playback
2. Macbook Pro as server
3. Matrix Element i streamer/DAC as renderer (hard drives resident on Element i), plugged into home stereo

Here's my assumptions:
1. I assume that an iPad can only control playback, not be a server, correct?
2. In order for this to work, the MacBook Pro (server) would need to be on at all times (during playback).
3. Control chain in JRiver would be iPad --> MacBook Pro (server) --> Matrix Element i (renderer) --> amp/speakers

Questions:
1. iPad does not control the renderer directly, correct?
2. If so, is it correct that I wouldn't have any playback if the MacBook Pro (server) is down?
3. If so, since the MacBook Pro is portable, is there any real advantage to using the iPad for playback? Or does that simply add complexity/latency to this configuration?

In essence, I am trying to figure if there's any real advantage to using an iPad under these circumstances. To me, this only seems worthwhile if the iPad has access to a mirror copy of the music database and connect directly to the renderer, bypassing the server.

Thanks for letting me know if my understanding is correct. In the end, I am thinking the way to go is simply to use the MacBook Pro -> Matrix Element i -> stereo. Can't figure out what additional benefit the iPad would convey.

Regards, Dave

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Using an iPad in this scenario would just give you a more portable, coffee table friendly, solution.  And a second means of control.
Pages: [1]   Go Up