INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What songs do you hear when you're in your supermarket?  (Read 1251 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
What songs do you hear when you're in your supermarket?
« on: May 26, 2020, 10:26:22 pm »

Muzak seems to have changed.

Recently I was in the local (and locally owned) supermarket.

The background tune started.

It was In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

>In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida<

Not at all what I was expecting.

So I gotta ask, what tunes is (are?) your supermarket playing for you?

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: What songs do you hear when you're in your supermarket?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 12:26:39 pm »

I can't be specific as to the artists names but it is trash, absolute trash. It plays at an unreasonably loud volume through old, cheap, blown speakers. They even have different music in different sections so when in the middle they mix. Like a perfume and a fart. I believe they modelled the audio system and music selection after Guantanamo Bay. I really feel sorry for the workers. As they add shields in for the cashiers they should install 360 degree shields to protect them from the sound. Maybe it's intentional to get shoppers in and out as fast as possible.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 11:17:18 pm »

> but it is trash,

One of the things I've noticed is that the local supermarket I am commentiing upon varies the tunes.

If i go mid-afternoon during the week, I hear things from the 60's and 70's (e.g., the aforementioned In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida).

But if i go in the evenings or on weekends, the tunes tend to be more 80's and 90's.

The quality of the sound is not great, but it is not distorted, more frequency-range limited.

What surprised me the most was seeing other shoppers moving to the music.  Not full-out dancing, but their steps were in the beat of the tunes.
=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

livingondogfood

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 03:45:14 pm »

I was shocked the other day when I was in the supermarket and Green Day was playing.
Generally I don't listen and wish they'd stop, but things like Green Day and especially In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida I definitely notice.
It was Safeway in Canada, owned by Sobey's
Pages: [1]   Go Up