INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Build 159: Problems Playing Video Files & Medi  (Read 1715 times)

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Build 159: Problems Playing Video Files & Medi
« on: April 23, 2003, 03:17:13 pm »

1. Audio when playing certain quicktime (e.g. old BMW commercial, Air Force One trailer) movies and audio is echo-y and out of sync on a Win 2000 P3-733 (although these files play fine with the Quicktime standalone app and on a Win XP Athlon 2000+). If I escape out of the full screen mode used to play the movies, I return to the main Media Center window and the video stops, but the sound continues.

2. Bringing up what would be a display of video file thumbnails results in the server trying to transfer all of the entire video files themselves to the remote PC. This makes it impossible to play any video files from within a group of files (i.e. from the group of all video files) on the server using a remote PC because the transfers would take forever to complete for all the files. Shouldn't the thumbnail image be created/pulled by Media Server and only that smaller image sent to the Remote PC? From the Media Server log, Media Server seems to do the same thing with picture files (although I may be reading the log incorrectly), which isn't great, but in that case at least the transfers can actually be completed.

3. Cover art assigned to a video file as the thumbnail image as part of a library being served by Media Server does not show up on the Remote PC as the thumbnail view of that file.

4. Attempting to play a single MPEG video file, i.e. from a group of one, results in three successive "Error" dialogs saying "DirectShow: Interface not registered" followed by a "Warning" dialog saying "Media Center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files. Make sure that the path in the Media Jukebox library points to the right location."

5. Attempting to play a single AVI video file, i.e. from a group of one, results in three successive "Error" dialogs saying "DirectShow: Interface not registered" followed by a "Warning" dialog saying "Media Center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files. Make sure that the path in the Media Jukebox library points to the right location."

6. Attempting to play a single quicktime file using a remote PC brings up a dialog asking for Quicktime Internet Authentication, then a dialog saying Media Center has encountered problems playing the last several files, and then I get a dialog saying "Media Core has encountered a problem and needs to close." Etc. and Media Center terminates. Note: the first error listed only occurs if the server uses a UserID and password, but the even without these enabled, the second two fatal errors still occur.

7. No way to connect a remote PC (i.e. one other than the one on which the server is running) to Media Server by referencing the name of the computer on the LAN, e.g. as \\COMPUTER:81 where "COMPUTER" is the name of the computer on the LAN and 81 is the port number the server has been set up to operate on. I believe this used to work, e.g. in Build 100.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Build 159: Problems Playing Video Files &
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 03:24:07 pm »

#3 MC over Media Server isn't the same as MC

#7 That's the way it works.

For others, try updating your DirectX from Microsoft.  There still may be problems, but not all problems you're reporting are MC.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 04:29:39 pm »

#3 MC over Media Server isn't the same as MC

#7 That's the way it works.

For others, try updating your DirectX from Microsoft.  There still may be problems, but not all problems you're reporting are MC.

Re 3: Are saying MC doesn't support viewing thumbnails of video files when the library is served (which it DOES do for photos)? If you'll confirm that's the case then its obviously not a bug. Just too bad. :)

Re 7: See the thread "Build 157: Media Server Problem" that explains how this approach degrades performance. But again if this isn't intended to be implemented, then its not a bug. Again, just too bad.

For all others: DirectX 9 has been upgraded to the most recent version within the past week. I think it is highly unlikely that these are DirectX issues.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 04:43:30 pm »

#3 yes.

Media Server has to do a lot of work to make things seem the same as playing locally.  It's always a little behind.

I tried your movie link, but it wanted a login.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 06:33:06 pm »

#3 yes.

I tried your movie link, but it wanted a login.

All you need to do is supply a first name and email and they let you in.

Azure

• Recent member
  • Bling!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 09:18:08 pm »

To #3.  I have the same problem with normal media files, MP3 or OGG.  Cover art won't be displayed if I'm connecting via Media Server.  That's just how it's going to be in that case, too?
Pages: [1]   Go Up