INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are "Mp3float" audio tracks?  (Read 3577 times)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
What are "Mp3float" audio tracks?
« on: June 01, 2020, 07:43:51 pm »

I have some videos for which MC 25 identifies "Mp3float" as audio track codec... What kind of format is that, and how is it different to MP3? I only found one older posting on the keyword in the forum, and no useful information on the web at all...

Interestingly, MC 25 does distinguish between 'Mp3' and 'Mp3float'...

The problem is, videos using this audio codec often fail to play on my TV via DLNA... Only after converting these tracks to AC3 do they play properly...

Thanks in advance!
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: What are "Mp3float" audio tracks?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 03:45:56 am »

This is not a different format, its normal mp3, just an indication of the decoder MC is using.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 03:41:53 pm »

Sorry, I should have specified, 'mp3float' is what MC displays under 'Audio:...' in the Compression field (for video files only), but without the file playing, so no decoding in progress...

I would think that MC is simply reading these data from off the files' headers... However, when I analyzed some 'Mp3 / float' files in another program ('MediaInfo' by MediaArea.net), all have identical audio information as follows:

"Format: MPEG Audio, Version: 1, Profile: Layer 3, Codec-ID: 55, Codec-Info: MP3"

Note: Although 'Version' and 'Codec-ID' sometimes say '2' (not '55' or '1' as normally), this has no (!) impact on what MC displays for audio compression, so either can be 'Mp3' or 'mp3float'...

So I keep wondering, what is the difference, and why would some fail to play via DLNA?
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 05:42:04 pm »

My previous answer remains unchanged. There is no difference. Its just a detail how mp3 in video is being handled by MC.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 05:55:39 pm »

My previous answer remains unchanged. There is no difference. Its just a detail how mp3 in video is being handled by MC.

I see, thanks. Not very helpful though in cases where videos are played on other devices (who do the rendering)...

It would also be interesting how MC decides which audio compression type to display (mp3 w/o float) when all files have what seem like standard MP3 tracks...
Pages: [1]   Go Up