INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble playing some high bitrate files  (Read 1160 times)

scotlynn

• Recent member
Trouble playing some high bitrate files
« on: June 05, 2020, 05:44:34 pm »

I'm not going to pretend I know what I'm doing with this stuff, but I've manged to always get jriver to play back any file I've downloaded, but just ran into a problem I can't seem to figure out. I have mostly flac files but also a number of high rez downloads. I just got a few downloads and 2 of them just won't play. The only difference I can see is that the 2 that won't play have a higher bitrate than my other files. They are both in DSF format - one has a bitrate of 14112 and the other 22579. I got a DFF download at the same time with a bitrate of 11289 that plays fine. I have plenty of other DSF files with lower bitrates that also play fine.

So is this an issue where my DAC can't handle these higher bitrates I have an older DAC that handles the following: Sampling Rates USB: PCM up to 32bit 768kHz / Native DSD up to DSD512 / DSD DoP up to DSD256 . If its a DAC problem, what settings can I use in MC to get them to play?

Sorry if this is a really silly question - I'm a vinyl guy and know next to nothing about digital tech.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Re: Trouble playing some high bitrate files
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 12:47:31 am »

Tools>Options>Settings>DSP & Output Format

Check your sample rate.  Some DACs/Receivers can't handle certain ones.

For instance, I have one that can't handle 88,200 HZ, so I have to either change that setting to 44,100HZ or 96,000 HZ.  Then leave the checkmark on Output Format and see if that fixes it.  I also set all mine above 96000HZ to that level. 

scotlynn

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 06:20:37 am »

Thanks - I'll play around with the Output Formatting settings today and see what I can dig up. I took a closer look at the files today and the one that I can play and the one that I cannot both have the same sampling rate - 2822400 Hz. So maybe there's just an issue with the 2 files that I cannot play that have nothing to do with my settings or DAC. But I'll try that out!

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 11:35:20 am »

14112 is the bitrate for a DSD64 5channel stream.   For comparison, stereo DSD64 is 5644.   Is your system equipped for multichannel?
11289 is something I have not seen but bitrates in that range (in my collection) are stereo 24/192 FLAC
22579 is DSD256 stereo and, theoretically, can be played through your DAC with proper settings.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

scotlynn

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 03:32:32 pm »

Thank, you. The 14112 makes sense - I am not set up for multichannel, so that one will not do me any good. I'll have to try and downsample, I think, for the DSD256. Didn't get a chance to try that yet today.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 05:19:47 pm »

Thank, you. The 14112 makes sense - I am not set up for multichannel, so that one will not do me any good. I'll have to try and downsample, I think, for the DSD256. Didn't get a chance to try that yet today.
You should check the tags of all of the unplayable files to see their real format and whether they are multichannel or stereo.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

scotlynn

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 08:49:05 am »

You should check the tags of all of the unplayable files to see their real format and whether they are multichannel or stereo.

OK, I guess I figured out the problem but not sure of the solution. I have Bitstream in DSD enabled and DSD Bitstream in DoP Format checked off. All my prior files have been DSD64's and 128's. They all play fine.These latest 2 files are 2 channel, but DSD256. My DAC is only DSD128 capable; those sampling rates that I posted in my original post where wrong - here are the sampling rates for the DAC I have: 32bit  32KHz  44.1KHz  48KHz  192KHz  352.8KHz  384KHz.

So my DAC is not capable of handling DSD256. I tried going into Output Encoding and setting it to 2xDSD in DoP format thinking that it would convert  the DSD 256's into 128's, but that didn't work. The only way I can get the DSD256 files to play is disabling Bitstream in DSD and they play as PCM. But so, then, does everything else. Is there anyway to maintain DSD playback and downsample the 256's to 128? Thanks for all your help - as I said, this is all new to me!

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 08:56:12 am »

But so, then, does everything else. Is there anyway to maintain DSD playback and downsample the 256's to 128?
Yes and no.  You can downsample DSD256 to DSD128 but MC will do this via a PCM intermediary, so there is no advantage for this over simply converting to and playing it as PCM.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 09:03:53 am »

In Audio Setup, when you select Bistreaming use Custom and set DSD to only bitstream up to 128.. That will send DSD up to 128 and convert 256 to PCM.

Output Encoding converts everything to DSD. You probably do not want that.  Plus, a conversion from 256 to 128 goes through a PCM stage, which is also typically not desired.  If you really want to do a 256 to 128 conversion, you can use the Convert option in Library Tools to create a new DSD 128 file.  You may want to do it in 2 stages, DSD 256 to PCM and then PCM to DSD 128.

scotlynn

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 09:28:56 am »

In Audio Setup, when you select Bistreaming use Custom and set DSD to only bitstream up to 128.. That will send DSD up to 128 and convert 256 to PCM.

Output Encoding converts everything to DSD. You probably do not want that.  Plus, a conversion from 256 to 128 goes through a PCM stage, which is also typically not desired.  If you really want to do a 256 to 128 conversion, you can use the Convert option in Library Tools to create a new DSD 128 file.  You may want to do it in 2 stages, DSD 256 to PCM and then PCM to DSD 128.

Perfect! That custom bitstreaming setting seemed to do it. I just had to downsample everything above 384KHz since that's the limit of my DAC. Thanks to you both!
Pages: [1]   Go Up