INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Dynamic smartlists (that can take arguments)  (Read 389 times)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I know I can achieve something close to this using a sequence of panes but I think dynamic/virtual smartlists are more intuitive in non-standard views and simpler than panes in standard view.

Current behavior

I use a playlist group called "Best Of" containing smartlists that are titled by a single artist name. Example:

Code: [Select]
Best Of
    Elton John
    Garth Brooks
    Michael Jackson

These smartlists contain the same simple set of rules:

[Media Type]=[Audio] [Artist]=[Elton John] [Rating]=>=1 ~sort=Random
[Media Type]=[Audio] [Artist]=[Garth Brooks [Rating]=>=1 ~sort=Random
[Media Type]=[Audio] [Artist]=[Michael Jackson] [Rating]=>=1 ~sort=Random

Issue

Creating smartlists like these for every artist is very cumbersome and takes up a lot of room in the playlist tree (requires scrolling).

Proposed behavior

What I would like is a way to replace the [Artist] with an argument (variable). The way that the argument is passed by the user could be context-dependent. Perhaps I could create a "Best Of" smartlist with a stock ruleset containing a variable:

[Media Type]=[Audio] [Artist]=[%myvar%] [Rating]=>=1 ~sort=Random

When the smartlist was selected it could present the user with a dialog box to enter the name of the Artist to generate a "Best Of" smartlist for. If it was presented a list of artists, perhaps it could loop over the smartlist and concatenate the results. While a single string or list would solve all of my outstanding issues, I can imagine scenarios where someone may want to input multiple fields in order to create a dynamic smartlist (filtering by date/time).

UI

It might be nice to "remind" the user which fields are necessary to pass to the smartlist when they are prompted for input. Thus the name of the variable passed to the smartlist should be presented to the user:

[Media Type]=[Audio] [Artist]=[%'Artist Name'%] [Rating]=>=1 ~sort=Random

The input would be context-dependent, with keyboard (and selection switcher) input in Theater View/Panel, pop-up dialog in Standard View, and some type of MCWS call to create a list of files by passing a parameter to the smartlist ID. This would be extra sweet because it would mean that dynamic smartlists could be generated using MCWS and stored client-side (as dynamic MCWS calls).

Another Example

Newly Rated by Rating:
[Media Type]=[Audio] [Rating]=%'Minimum # of Stars'% ~sort=[Date First Rated]-d

...which would prompt the user to input a 'Minimum # of Stars' in order to display the most recently rated tracks with at least that rating value.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Feature Request: Dynamic smartlists (that can take arguments)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 07:31:48 pm »

Sort of like using the Search Wizard over the top of a basic Smartlist in Standard View, and the Save/Load Search functionality to reload a list of fields to be filtered on in the Wizard, at any time after the Wizard was originally run?

But providing similar functionality in Theatre View, Panel, and via MCWS.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re: Feature Request: Dynamic smartlists (that can take arguments)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 09:44:18 am »

Sort of like using the Search Wizard over the top of a basic Smartlist in Standard View, and the Save/Load Search functionality to reload a list of fields to be filtered on in the Wizard, at any time after the Wizard was originally run?

But providing similar functionality in Theatre View, Panel, and via MCWS.

Yes, I think that is one possible way to implement it in Standard View although it is probably easier to use a modal dialog than using the Wizard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up