INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC continuously “not responding”  (Read 1196 times)

dariedel2

• Recent member
MC continuously “not responding”
« on: June 08, 2020, 09:07:20 pm »

I have MC 26 and many versions before. I use MC on Windows 10 with nvidia 1060. I also have all my music on NAS and use the TV functionality with Ceton tuners with cable card.

I use the WDM driver to play HTPC audio (if watching Netflix, etc).

I also use a Logitech programmable remote to control everything.

MC crashes/not responding multiple times per day, and I need to use task manager to close the program and reopen again many times per day.
I’ve tried all the fixes for windows defender, tuned off analyze etc, installed new versions and it just keeps happening.  I need JRiver to play high res audio and act as electronic crossover for bi amped Speakers (asio output to audio interface), but using for TV and HTPC is almost useless.

Please help!
Doug

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC continuously “not responding”
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 09:14:06 pm »

If you're using Task Manager to close MC, it sounds like you have a freeze, not a crash.

What version are you using?

Any other Antivirus?

What are you doing when it happens?

dariedel2

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 06:46:12 am »

Hello,
I’m using 26.0.80. 
Yes, a freeze is the right word after I read the troubleshooting guide.
This happens usually when using WDM to watch JRiver Tv with a Ceton Ethernet tuner and switching between that and watching Netflix over the internet with WDM.
I use the WDM for my HTPC To route the sound through MC to Signal process crossovers for A bi-amped system. ASIO output from MC. I also use a NAS to store all my music and movie files. I store all recorded tv on a local drive. I keep library files and MC itself on the C: drive that is a SSD.

I also recently started using a client to watch tV from. I did find a couple more folders on the client And a single folder on the server that were not removed from Defender watch list.
This has definitely improve performance since fixing a day or so ago. Still however the occasional freeze.

While I have you: when watching JTV,(FIOS Cablecard with Ceton ETH6 tuner), the video image is occasionally jerky and often jerky on the text scrolls on the bottom of screen. This does not happen on the client(which happens to be a. More powerful computer).  My MC Server/htpc is a core i3 dual core with nvidia gtx 1060.  Is it possible the htpc would benefit from an upgrade to fix the jerky screen? Or any ideas to attemp to fix this?

Much thanks!
Doug

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 07:01:29 am »

Good it's working better.  Try switching MC's Video setting between Red October Standard and HQ.

dariedel2

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 07:55:04 am »

Ok. Do MC video settings impact television or just movie files?

Also, just in the last 15 minutes, the tv signal/image has frozen for 15-30 seconds at least 3 times while just viewing(audio still works during freeze)No other actions taking place while doing so.

Thanks,
Doug

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 08:08:44 am »

TV playback shares some settings with Video/movie playback, Red October setting is one such.

Random freezing while viewing TV sounds like TV tuner issue or networking issue, or just TV signal issue.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

dariedel2

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 08:24:11 am »

Ok.  Thanks.
One final question: do you believe any of these issues (jerky tv image / occasional freezing ) can be eliminated with faster HTPC?
I was under the impression that a dual core i3 and gtx 1060 would be more than enough to handle HTPC functions with jriver tv and acting as server for another MC client.

Thanks,
Doug

dariedel2

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 08:34:07 am »

My network is pretty sound, all cat6 hardwired and good gigabit switch.
Are there any network settings that should be considered? Like large packet, etc?

Thanks,
Doug

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 09:07:22 am »

My advice, replace the Ceton with SiliconDust HDHomeRun. The years I spent troubleshooting the Ceton network tuner (win7 then win10) were just wasted time. I found myself unplugging the Tuner power cord every two or three days due to lock ups.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

dariedel2

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 10:46:17 am »

My advice, replace the Ceton with SiliconDust HDHomeRun. The years I spent troubleshooting the Ceton network tuner (win7 then win10) were just wasted time. I found myself unplugging the Tuner power cord every two or three days due to lock ups.

I have the SD home run and used them with their streaming service and JriverMC through WDM. I still had JRiver behave poorly with freezes(this was before listing more folders in Defender exlusions list).  But I switched to FIOS with cable card.

I have been patiently waiting for Silicon Dust’s 6 tuner Cablecard device to finally be available.

Are there any networking configuration settings I could be neglecting?

Thanks,
Doug

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 11:16:53 am »

Huh, didn't know SD streaming service was ever possible on MC, but as long as that Ceton tuner is part of your system, you will be struggling with it.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

dariedel2

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 04:33:12 pm »

Huh, didn't know SD streaming service was ever possible on MC, but as long as that Ceton tuner is part of your system, you will be struggling with it.
I just ran the audio from streaming service through jriver with WDM driver. I did this for purpose of using MC for crossover processing.

dariedel2

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 07:55:40 am »

I solved some problems:
I think the biggest problem and reason for my initial post had been solved. The folders where I told MC to store any ripped files was not in my Defender exclusions list. Adding those to the exclusion list seems to have solved the problem.

Also the CTRL J Not working that has been Posted about several times can be solved by reverting to a standard madvr quality setting. Then it’s pretty quick to go back I. And adjust any custom setting you need.
Pages: [1]   Go Up