INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Portable' Library  (Read 506 times)

xexets

• Recent member
'Portable' Library
« on: June 10, 2020, 07:01:07 am »

Hi all!

So I have my library on my desktop computer and I am happy for it to stay there.
However I would like to take the library with me and be able to play in on JRiver on another computer. How do I achieve this?
So far I have: copied all files on an external hard drive, without altering the folder structure and cloned the library on that same hard drive.
When I open the cloned library on a different computer and point it to the external hard drive I should see it all, tags, folder structure, thumbnails and all, correct?
If not, could you please let me know what is the best practice to achieve this?
Thanks

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: 'Portable' Library
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 12:55:27 pm »

You have it basically correct...

To do it with minimal fussing, there are three+ things you have to do:

1. Replicate the file and folder structure EXACTLY, including the drive letter.
2. Backup the library on the desktop, and restore it on the laptop
3. Modify the settings to use the audio device on the laptop (since it will be different)
4. You may have to copy cover art and artist images from your appdata directory; this depends on your settings, and where you are storing those.  You might also have custom resources or themes in your JRiver directory in Program Files

If you don't do #1, it is still achievable but you will have to mess with paths in the Rename Move and Copy Files tool. (Each time you restore the library)

When you restore the library, you can restore with and without settings.  If you choose "with" you will have to mess with any system specific things that you want different between the machines, like font size or audio settings.

Good luck!

xexets

• Recent member
Re: 'Portable' Library
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 03:41:54 am »

Fantastic, many thanks, this is really helpful!
Pages: [1]   Go Up