INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inexplicable shutdown of JR25 when importing?!  (Read 666 times)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
Inexplicable shutdown of JR25 when importing?!
« on: June 13, 2020, 01:05:34 pm »

Recently, but only occasionally, JR25 shut down when I manually import a folder from my server.  I locate the folder using BROWSE in the import function.  JR25 then closes and needs to be reopened. When MC was reopened most recently, the library was something other than what it was before shutting down inexplicably.  Since I am p\religious about saving the library after making additions/changes, I decided to do LIBRARY RESTORE.  It appears that the library is now correct BUT there is almost no cover art showing!

What is causing JR25 to shut down on its own?

How do I get the cover art to show again?

Thanks. 

Be safe, stay well.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
Re: Inexplicable shutdown of JR25 when importing?!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 06:36:52 pm »

Recently, but only occasionally, JR25 shut down when I manually import a folder from my server.  I locate the folder using BROWSE in the import function.  JR25 then closes and needs to be reopened. When MC was reopened most recently, the library was something other than what it was before shutting down inexplicably.  Since I am p\religious about saving the library after making additions/changes, I decided to do LIBRARY RESTORE.  It appears that the library is now correct BUT there is almost no cover art showing!

What is causing JR25 to shut down on its own?

How do I get the cover art to show again?

Thanks. 

Be safe, stay well.

Talking to myself...

FWIW, JR25 is installed on a brand new DELL PC running Win10.  Previous PC died so MC was reinstalled and library was recovered from the previous harddrive.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 06:53:33 pm »

There have been a few problems lately that have been caused by Windows Defender.  Please take a look here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114101.0.html

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 11:05:06 pm »

It sounds like you had a hard drive crash on the previous PC. If so, and your media files were on that hard drive, you may have some corrupted media files. If you had to actually recover your media files, the chances of that are even higher.

Corrupted media files could cause MC to crash when you point the Import process at the folder containing them. There are tools available to check files for corruption. Google for them.

As Jim says, Windows Defender seems to have both been reset to default settings by a recent Windows update, and also had "Controlled Folder Access" turned on. Both changes could make MC work incorrectly, although usually something just doesn't work, rather than crashing MC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 09:31:51 am »

There have been a few problems lately that have been caused by Windows Defender.  Please take a look here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114101.0.html

Just browsed thru what appears to be a very thorough Defender link.  From what I see, one would need to make programming changes to Defender which I am not comfortable doing.  I am a MC user, not a programmer.  Even tho' the tutorial is "Betty Crocker", I do not like to follow instructions and make mods that I do not understand.

Couple of additional pieces of information...  I have been successfully using MC on this new machine for several months without issue.  When I exit and reopen MC, it has successfully done so with all albums and artwork showing.  I have manually imported over a 100 folders/albums without a problem. 

In addition to cover art being replaced by blue music notes, I have learned that clicking on the album results in an error message that the album cannot be found!

The album artwork is created in one or more ways:

1) Generated by EAC during the ripping process;
2) Already part of the downloaded folder/album and displays when the folder is imported;
3) Is artwork found on the web by me and stored in the folder which must then be pointed to using COVER ART option;

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 11:27:33 am »

You need to configure Windows Defender.  Just follow the instructions.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 12:19:16 pm »

You need to configure Windows Defender.  Just follow the instructions.

Will give it a try!  Thanks, all, for the guidance.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 06:20:02 pm »

I have been successfully using MC on this new machine for several months without issue.

Something has changed. Windows Update, and changes to Window Defender are often what has changed.

In addition to cover art being replaced by blue music notes,

That indicates that something has happened to the Thumbnails Database. It does happen sometimes, and usually all you need to do is run Rebuild Thumbnails. But sometimes it is an indicator of some deeper problems on the PC.

I have learned that clicking on the album results in an error message that the album cannot be found!

This is an even bigger indicator of a problem on your PC, and generally would be a failing disk drive, or if a USB or network drive a failing connection. Or some other software has moved or removed the files, or blocked MC from seeing them. If MC can't see the file it will put a little red circle with a horizontal line through it where normally a very small thumbnail would display in Smartlists and some Views.

If you right-click on a file for an Album that MC says it can't find, and select "Locate > On Disk (external)", does MC give you a message saying it does not exist? If so, something has moved or deleted your files. You will need to investigate that.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 10:54:44 am »

Again, all of the feedback on potential causes has been great.  Thanks for that.

Further investigation determined that even tho' MC opened showing all the library titles and some of the cover art and the directory location settings were correct, MC for whatever reason did not "see" the server drive?!

I removed the library, rebooted the computer, reinstalled the server drive, reopened MC, reinstalled the library and....VOILA!  We are back in business.

Have a safe Summer!
Pages: [1]   Go Up