INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does MC 26 do rip verification and/or jitter correction while ripping?  (Read 710 times)

masterK

• Recent member

Hello, I'm just getting started with MC. I've been using Media Monkey for many years, and I'm finally turning my CD collection into hi-res audio files. Media Monkey has some limitations in this regard, so I've decided to move on. A couple things I'm used to with MM is it verifies ripped tracks against the accuraterip.com database, and it does jitter correction during ripping. They both seem like good ideas.

As I was ripping my way through my CD collection, MM would report that it not verify tracks and/or there were jitter errors on certain tracks quite a few CDs, most of them in pristine condition. I could try several times and repeat the error/failure. This had me scratching my head. I could listen through the files, and they seemed fine. It's unlikely that I'm the first person to make flac files out of some of these 30 year old CDs, and it was usually only a couple tracks out of the whole CD.

Anyway, I've redone rips of most of the ones I was getting errors/failures on with MC, and there hasn't been a single issue. I'm hoping that means that MM was just having issues, but I can't find settings in MC related to rip verification or jitter correction. Maybe these things are unnecessary?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, comments, or philosphical waxing about my question.

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen

MC has it's own "secure" ripping function, but it's not tied in any way to Accurip; and there's nothing about jitter correction, at least that I know of.

If you want Accurip results, you'd probably want to use either EAC, or better (though not free), dbPoweramp. I use the latter myself.

One side note, about terminology: if you just have 16 bit CDs, you're not making "hi-res," 24 bit rips, as I don't think that's possible with normal ripping software (and you wouldn't want it if it is possible, as there would be no gain in quality, only in disc space used).

wer

• Citizen of the Universe

Welcome to the forums.

A lot of people use MC's ripping and they think it's fine.

Personally, I think dbPowerAmp does a considerably better job. (I've never used MM so I can't compare.)  dbPA does verification, and generally has better database lookup than MC, in my experience.  dbPA also does calibration of your drive for more accurate rips.

A couple of things you should be aware of:
- A particular title on CD (even old ones) often has many different pressings, and these will differ from each other slightly.  So my 37 year old copy of "Back in Black" may will have a different checksum than yours, even though both are perfectly intact. dbPA handles this well.

-Different drives will sometimes read the same audio disc slightly differently. It's just a fact. I keep two drives (of different brands) on hand, a Pioneer and an LG. If one disc gives me an issue in one drive, I will rip it in the other drive and 9 times out of ten it rips perfectly in the 2nd drive.  If you have the wherewithal, I recommend having this option.

Incidentally, if you're ripping CDs, that is not "hi-res audio".  CD is its own standard (Red Book, 16-bit 44.1KHz audio).  Anything higher than CD quality is considered Hi-Res audio.

Hope this helps...

[Edit: I see Tim posted some of the same points while I was typing]

tij

• MC Beta Team

No verification of rip on MC.

i personally dont use MC for ripping.

i rip CD with EAC. If rip is not accurate (my CDs are really old with lots of scratches) ... i use CUETools to try repair rips

For movies i use combinatio  of MakMKV, MKVToolnix, and DVDFab
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

masterK

• Recent member

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. And right, yes, I should have said lossless rather than hi-res.

livingondogfood

• Recent member

"No verification of rip on MC"

There is actually. I rip every CD I buy and when it's finished in the lower left I click on details and I am provided with the information like was it able to rip accurately, how many tries it took, and only once for me, that it was unable to rip that track correctly(i.e. errors).

tij

• MC Beta Team

"No verification of rip on MC"

There is actually. I rip every CD I buy and when it's finished in the lower left I click on details and I am provided with the information like was it able to rip accurately, how many tries it took, and only once for me, that it was unable to rip that track correctly(i.e. errors).

Sorry ... I was not specific ... no verification of rip against online database

It has its benefits. I feel safer when I know that other ppl rip same CD with same results. And I rerip if it has different results ... if checksum come out the same (which is unlikely if CD us damaged), then I assume my CD us different press ... if not, I try repair rip with CUETools

Note ... this verification against online database will not help “pirates” to determine if their “pirated” CD is accurate compare to real CD ... for all you know you can be verifying your rip against other “pirates” ... hahaha

You don’t have to rerip CD if you want to compare your rip against online database ... CUETools can verify existing rips ... and it’s free
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)
Pages: [1]   Go Up