INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I organize my albums in a custom order?  (Read 617 times)

hunkee

How can I organize my albums in a custom order?
« on: June 18, 2020, 11:22:08 pm »

Hello!

I've been organizing my entire library and have come to an issue. When I had iTunes, there was a 'Sort Album' option. I would use this simply to show each Artist's studio albums first and EP's, live albums, etc down at the bottom. Basically, I could organize the order of albums in my library how I wanted.

With JRiver, I have the default (Artist Album) preset (see attached picture below). It then sorts it by year, so Green Day is a bit messy.

I've tinkered a bit and can't seem to find how to arrange the albums within the selected artist the way I want! Someone help!

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How can I organize my albums in a custom order?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 11:32:21 pm »

I've tinkered a bit and can't seem to find how to arrange the albums within the selected artist the way I want! Someone help!

Relax.  :)

See that little downward pointing triangle to the right of the word Artists at the top of your tab, right over the first album thumbnail?

Click it, and you'll get a menu. Select "Sort by".

You can then use one of the preset sort methods, or you can select "Custom" and start adding whatever fields you want, in whatever order you want, to create whatever kind of sorting you'd like.

In addition to that, you can right-click on the View name in the tree (the word Artists, under Audio), and select Customize View.  You then have the option, by editing each category, to change the sort order for each category level in the view.

Have fun...

hunkee

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 07:53:49 am »

Hello, wer!

I actually have traversed both of those sections and was overwhelmed with new things like "Expressions" and entering new rules.

I just got done giving it another try.....and I'm almost there......

I created a new Category of 'Album Sort' and have been tagging my albums and am now able to organize albums how I want! Only downside is now this information is showing up on the album name (see picture).

Do you or anyone know an Expression to hide text from being seen? I tried =removeleft(, )  and entered the roman numerals preceding the album name....Only for it to sort the albums alphabetically. It removed it, it didn't hide it. I'm just looking to turn this

III. Light We Made

into

Light We Made.

I looked into the Expressions and the commands and stuff and got overwhelmed. I'm not a code guy.

wer

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 12:25:57 pm »

Well, you did not need to create a separate "album sort" field just to sort them, unless the sorting order you desired was totally arbitrary.

The ability of MC to do custom complicated sorting, independently of how the music is actually displayed, is one of its greatest strengths and sets it apart from other apps.

For example, my albums, when viewing by artist, display the name of the album, but are sorted by the year of release. No extra fields are needed.

But regardless of what fields are used to group or sort, you can also change what is displayed.

See the little down arrow at the top of your tab, right above the 2nd album in the top row of your screenshot?

Click on it, and you get a menu. Same menu you used before. Select Thumbnails->Thumbnail Text  and you can set the text that is displayed under the album cover to whatever you want. Doing this will not affect the sort order.

You should read these, to learn more about how to customize your view scheme and do custom sorting:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/View_Schemes
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=117467.0
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=106984.0

Have fun...

MikeO

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 03:04:40 am »

I am not sure if MC does but I would be wary of Roman Numerals , most software will sort Alphabetically , weren't many PC's in the Roman E 8)ra
Pages: [1]   Go Up