INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename, move & copy  (Read 1048 times)

LETRA

• World Citizen
Rename, move & copy
« on: June 22, 2020, 12:41:54 pm »

It should have just been * by itself, not *.*

Not sure about the copy, move, rename. We could look at the thread if you still can't get it to work.

It's a general problem in mac and linux since few weeks. And from what I see the solution we just tried has not been a complete success either. That transferred the mp3 files but not the artwork:

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Rename, move & copy
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 12:55:05 pm »

It's a general problem in mac and linux since few weeks. And from what I see the solution we just tried has not been a complete success either. That transferred the mp3 files but not the artwork:
I'm not very familiar with rename, move and copy. Can you explain what you are trying to accomplish with it?

LETRA

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 02:13:59 pm »

I'm not very familiar with rename, move and copy. Can you explain what you are trying to accomplish with it?

The screenshot is of the problem we were talk in the other thread. The audio files are exported but not the artwork (jpg, pdf, txt, png, etc)

LETRA

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 02:16:26 pm »

I usually use JRiver on Mac, but I've been testing the Linux version for days.I was using the function "Rename, move & copy files", with the checkbox "Move all non-imported files in folder with selected media files" to move the covers and booklets together with the FLAC to the folder with the new name. It worked fine during the first changes (more than ten thousand albums) but suddenly it stopped working and since yesterday it leaves the cover.jpg file in a duplicate folder with only that file.

I was using the 26.0.80 beta version. I uninstalled the beta and installed the stable version. There has been no change in the problem. What can I do? This function is important for the organization of the library that I am doing on the Linux computer and it is not possible to move one by one the covers in thousands of albums.

On Linux and Mac I have this other problem in "move, copy and rename". I posted it on the Linux section but no one responded:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,125592.0.html

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 03:50:52 pm »

I guess this was split from some other discussion?  Because of that there's no context.  So I can't really offer much help, even though I think I'm pretty good at RM&C.

What I can offer:  When you use RM&C, it ONLY operates on the files that MC has imported.  Which are generally the audio files.  The art work and extra files (PDF, etc) are not transferred or copied, etc.  UNLESS you check the box in the upper left that says "move all non imported files in folder with selected media files".  If you check that box ABSOLUTELY everything in the chosen directory(s) gets copied/moved.  Be certain that this is what you want to do before using this option.

Also:  It's smart to have your cover art stored inside the media files if you can.  FLAC supports this and I recommend that you embed your cover art if the file type supports it.  Or possibly use MC's central directory for cover art.  I personally don't like that option, but it eliminates another variable when moving things around.  Again I have zero idea of what you were trying to do, so this might not be useful.

Finally, your screen shot is very, very small and I can't read anything on it.  So I can't get any clues from that either.

Good luck.

Brian.

LETRA

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 04:09:48 pm »

The link is to another post that no one answered. The quote also comes from there. Bob asked about the problem in "resume, copy & move" and there it is explained. Of course I check the box to have all files moved.

It's a similar problem to the one we tried to solve in the post Bob answered before. The audio files are exported but not the booklet or other images.

The screenshot simply shows the finder's navigation window with the open folders without any extra files apart from mp3s.

Of course all my files have the cover embedded but I want to transfer the artwork. Thecus is a Debian server where Soulseek is run. I want to share those files.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 02:42:56 pm »

I know basically nothing about Rename Move and Copy. It doesn't appear to have filters like the handheld settings.

You basically need to look at Brian's suggestion above with regards to files other than music files.

LETRA

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 02:52:05 pm »

Thanks Bob, but data and images, as Brian suggests, are on and the files are indexed by JRiver. I can see the booklets in data or in the context menu in extras. And with images it's the same. It just stopped working on some update and it used to work fine. Or one of the options produces an error that it didn't produce before.

For example, someone answered me in another post the other day if I had "full disk access" enabled in Media Center 26. For some reason the JRiver 26 icon was no longer listed. However I had operated normally with JRiver without any problem except in exporting to a device and "rename, copy and move". I added it back and it remained the same. I think some of the latest updates may have been the cause of this.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 03:49:35 pm »

Thanks Bob, but data and images, as Brian suggests, are on and the files are indexed by JRiver. I can see the booklets in data or in the context menu in extras. And with images it's the same. It just stopped working on some update and it used to work fine. Or one of the options produces an error that it didn't produce before.

For example, someone answered me in another post the other day if I had "full disk access" enabled in Media Center 26. For some reason the JRiver 26 icon was no longer listed. However I had operated normally with JRiver without any problem except in exporting to a device and "rename, copy and move". I added it back and it remained the same. I think some of the latest updates may have been the cause of this.
Nothing as far as I know has changed in MC related to Rename, Move and Copy recently.
If you have MC26 under the Full Disk Access in Privacy AND HAVE ALWAYS RUN MC FROM THE /Applications DIRECTORY and the folder you are trying to write to has write permissions for the user you are running MC under, I don't see what the issue could be.

LETRA

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 04:22:22 pm »

Well, neither do I. And here I've been waiting two days for the answers.

jhamilton9

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 06:59:25 pm »

I use MC 26 on my MacBook with a 4TB external HD, which recently crashed. I've loaded a new HD however I can't get the JRiver playlists to source the music stored on the HD. Can someone please explain to me how I can source the music? I do get an error message that reads, " Can't create a Library at the specified location. Directory must be empty" What does this mean?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 10:18:59 am »

I use MC 26 on my MacBook with a 4TB external HD, which recently crashed. I've loaded a new HD however I can't get the JRiver playlists to source the music stored on the HD. Can someone please explain to me how I can source the music? I do get an error message that reads, " Can't create a Library at the specified location. Directory must be empty" What does this mean?
The library is a database which by default is stored in a folder underneath your user account.
If your music is stored on an external HD which crashed and you duplicated that exactly (including the name of the hard drive) your library should be OK and MC should just find the files. If anything in the path (name of hard drive, folder structure on the hard drive) changed MC won't be able to find your music. If your library is ok, you should just see the files in the library in list mode, look at a filename path to see where it expects to be seen and adjust the name of your HD drive or paths to match what was there before. This is the easiest way to get back to where you were.
Pages: [1]   Go Up