INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Player recommendation  (Read 1117 times)

N0NE

Player recommendation
« on: June 23, 2020, 08:19:30 pm »

Does anyone have a recommendation for an android player that I can use that will rate songs via the 5 star method and I can then sync handheld with JRiver to transfer thoes ratings? I have tried a few with no luck and my phone isn't compatible with the JRiver for android. I was doing this with an old Ipod that worked great but it is now toast.

Thanks.

N0NE

Re: Player recommendation
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 06:32:09 pm »

Second thought, I tried on Gizmo to pre cache 10 songs and that worked good but as soon as I turned off the network connection I couldn't rate the songs. Is Jremote2 able to cache or download songs and rate them and resync when connection is re-established?
Is this possible with JRiver android? or was this just an Ipod only feature?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Player recommendation
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 10:53:21 pm »

While Gizmo can cache a few files it doesn't really support downloaded files that exist on your phone, or are updated with playing stats that can be synced back to the MC Server.

JRemote2 doesn't support downloaded files yet.

Both require a network connection to the MC Server to update play stats such as [Last Played], [Number Plays], [Rating], because they aren't updating local files on the phone, but are updating the MC Server.

JRiver for Android would be the correct player to use, and it is supposed to support setting the Rating of Tracks. But actually I can't work out how to do that at the moment, and I have the option turned on.   ???  If that worked, combined with the Handheld Sync functionality, you should get what you want.

Even when JRiver for Android is connected to a MC Server rather than running on its own local server, there doesn't appear to be any way to set the Rating, and it doesn't update any playing stats on the server.

MO 4Media supports downloaded files, but I just tried that with a fully licenced copy, and it didn't work. Even if it did, I'm not sure it would update the MC Server after the event when it reconnects to the server. If it updates the local versions of the files it should be possible to use Handheld Sync to sync playing stats from the MO 4Media downloaded files location back to the MC Server. I'm not sure. Ask in the MO 4Media thread.

I'm sure there are other Android players that update play statistics in tags on the local files on the phone, which could then be synced back to the MC Server using Handheld Sync. I just haven't used any for ages, so can't advise.

Hopefully someone comes along who can make a recommendation. Or you could just search the Play Store for a player that claims to update tags with playing stats and ratings.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up