INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Make JRiver visible to MusicLife  (Read 1373 times)

phatcher

Make JRiver visible to MusicLife
« on: June 24, 2020, 04:20:36 pm »

I have an Arcam 850 and have been ripping my CDs to FLAC so I can play them via MusicLife an Arcam IoS app which can pick up DLNA servers.

I can successfully do this with MinimServer, but I prefer JRiver, however I can't find a configuration that makes JRiver visible to MusicLife - ideas?

Regards

Paul

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

phatcher

Re: Make JRiver visible to MusicLife
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 06:37:31 am »

Yes, I've tried it with Generic DLNA. Legacy UPnP and Audiophile 24-bit DAC with no result, I haven't changed any configuration settings from the defaults.

Can you also explain why these are running on three different interfaces e.g. 192.168.250.33 which is my local IP address but it's also running on 192.168.96.1 and 172.17.80.1?

Regards

Paul

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 07:53:17 pm »

Those different DLNA Server definitions are just templates for settings. You can change setting for any DLNA Server you define, to make them work with your other devices. There is no need to test them all to see if they become visible. Any of them should be visible to your DLNA Renderer (Arcam 850) and Controller (MusicLife). So get that to happen first, then sort out the settings later.

Did you read the Wiki articles I linked to? They should bring you up to speed on how MC does DLNA.

Are all you devices on the same LAN Subnet?
Do they all get their IP Addresses from the same DHCP Server, usually the router?

I don't know why the three different MC Servers would be running on three different LAN (Private) IP Addresses, but it comes back to your network topology, and my questions above. Remove two of the MC DLNA Servers and just leave one running. Make sure it is running on the IP Address that your DHCP Server assigned, and that is on the same Subnet as your Phone and the Arcam 850.
Do you have multiple DHCP Servers running?
If you don't know, do you have multiple routers running at home? Perhaps an ISP Modem/Router and a separate Router of your own?
Do you have multiple network connections on the PC, say two ethernet connections, or ethernet plus Wi-Fi?
Are you, or anyone else in the house, running Wi-Fi Hotspots on a phone?

There is a way to make MC Media Network only use one IP Address, but I would have to go look for that. It is a Registry setting that I don't recall off the top of my head. So if you answer the above questions and it sounds like you need to do that, I will look it up.

I have an issue where Gizmo can't see my MC Server on one PC until I run PingTools (on my Android phone) which tells the router to create an ARP record for the path, and once that exist Gizmo connects. So the router isn't passing requests to the MC Server. You may have a similar issue, although if MimimServer works, I guess that is less likely. You could try PingTools, or the equivalent, on your phone to see if that makes the MC DLNA Server visible.

Can you ping from the phone to the MC Server?

MC has a tool to look at network traffic it sees which relate to Media Network, under the left Navigation bar > Services & Plug-ins > Media Network. Take a look at that and see what is going on. Change the selection in the top Drop-Down list so narrow the view of data.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

phatcher

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 09:43:27 am »

Networking...

1. Everything is on the same subnet 192.168.250/24
2. There's only one DHCP server which is allocating IPs in the range 192.168.250.11 -> 250, this is the local Windows domain controller rather than the router
3. The phone can see the machine where JRiver is running as it's the same machine that has MinimServer; this won't be the eventual configuration, but I'm just trying to get things running at the moment.
4. There is another router on 192.168.100.1 but I don't think it's relevant as it's a Virgin Media hub in modem mode, hooked up to my Draytek router on WAN 2

Phone...

1. I can ping the PC from the phone

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 07:02:11 pm »

I wonder where those two IP Addresses, 192.168.96.1 and 172.17.80.1, are coming from then? They are both Private IP Addresses, that would be coming from your LAN somewhere. Possibly some software adapter, Loop-back adapter, HyperV Ethernet Adaptor, or similar.

I should have asked how you know the DLNA Servers were running on three different interfaces. Where do you see this? If it was just on the Media Network page, under Active Interfaces, that doesn't mean much, but it may be causing the issue.

You can get MC to only use the 192.168.250.33 address by setting an experimental parameter in the Windows Registry at "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 26\DLNA". See the first attached image. You will need to create that String with MC shut down. Search the forum for "Bind Only To" to find more information.

Once you have done that 192.168.250.33 will be the only Active Interface shown in Media Network. See the second attached image.

See if that fixes the issue.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 09:58:14 pm »

I wonder where those two IP Addresses, 192.168.96.1 and 172.17.80.1, are coming from then? They are both Private IP Addresses, that would be coming from your LAN somewhere.

172.17.80.1 could be the outside address.   At Google, type whatsmyip

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 11:26:33 pm »

172.17.80.1 could be the outside address.   At Google, type whatsmyip

It's in a Private IP Address range. I believe it is a HyperV Ethernet Adaptor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up