INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Install/Run MC26 on External HD for connection to computer w/o MC??  (Read 721 times)

tangolovers

• World Citizen

Hi,

I own a Masters license for MC26 and I use it both on my Mac and PC.  I want to be able to install & run MC26 on an external HD so I can run it from any other PC/MAC that does not have MC installed.   I know this is possible with Windows but not sure about MAC.   I would be grateful for detailed instructions of how to do the portable install. ::)  I have searched everywhere and can't find anything. 

I also plan to have the library & files located on the HD as well.

Thank you very much!
Susie
SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I have no idea if this is supported on a Mac, but if it is, then run the install again on your Mac, select Custom install, then select Portable.

If the option isn't there, then I would guess a Portable Installation isn't supported for Macs.

Some information here: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Portable_Drive_Installation
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tangolovers

• World Citizen

Hello Roderick,

Thanks for responding...  I did try the install on my MAC and there was no option which I wouldn't expect because MAC is rather different in that way.  I've never seen a custom install option for any MAC apps, or any other options for that matter.  At least it seems there's a new portable library option which I am looking forward to testing out.   I don't know if you recall how much you helped me untangle the mess I created from moving the library between my PC & MAC.... so this will be a welcome feature if I can make it work.    Take care!!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Oh, I remember!

Yours was the first of a few threads with similar issues, as people move between Windows and Macs.

The Portable Library function certainly should help you, as far as it goes.

I know the Mac installation is completely different. Only JRiver can say if they actually support Portable Installations for Macs. It would probably be harder than for Windows.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tangolovers

• World Citizen

Any idea if the portable library also ports all the playlists between PC & MAC so they look exactly the same on both computers?

At least if I can get the portable library to work, that will solve 90% of my needs.  I can live w/o being able to run the app from the drive for now.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Any idea if the portable library also ports all the playlists between PC & MAC so they look exactly the same on both computers?

Well, I haven't tested, but it certainly should. A Library includes all Playlists. I still have some issues about it I haven't investigated, such as the use of  "/" in paths from the source Mac Library, while on a PC the paths should be "\". I think MC takes care of that, but I'm not sure. The Portable Library functionality just takes care of the different Bas Path as far as I know, but there may have been some tweaking of the path handling code as well.

Test it, and let us know how well it works... or not.

Of course, and I'm sure you know, a Portable Installation built on a PC would only run on another PC, and not on a Mac. Different compiled code altogether. So maybe that wouldn't have been as useful as you thought. But the Portale Library should make it much easier to move the Library between the platforms.
Pages: [1]   Go Up